PDA

View Full Version : The number one leak I see online

eastbay
01-30-2004, 06:32 AM
Has absolutely got to be the "forcing" of strong pockets that get a bad flop and lots of action.

I see this constantly. Someone holds QQ, gets a couple callers, the flop comes A high, and they insist on calling down someone holding AT... or A whatever.

The pocket is only 2/7th of the hand. And a pair is just that - one pair.

I'm sure I've been guilty of that from time to time, with that saying you often hear "if you can't get your money in holding your best hand, what else can you hope for." Well, the answer is a flop that hits you holding a pocket that may not be ultra-strong by itself, but is strong for the board. Unlike QQ on an A-high board with multiple callers of preflop raising.

eastbay

triplc
01-30-2004, 12:01 PM
For me it depends upon the size of the bets being made. If I come in for a raise with QQ and get called by someone and the flop come Axx. I will check it to see what flies. If someone minibets me or underbets the pot, I treat the hand as a bluff-catcher (another CrisBrown via Howard Lederer term) and will call them down until they decide to put me to a decision for a good chunk of my chips. They might bleed off a few of my chips, but if they show weakness by not putting me to a serious decision, I'll take my chances. Sometimes, a reraise against a good player will get them to fold a hand like AT.

CCC

Utah
01-30-2004, 12:24 PM
In SNG Tourneys:

For weak players: There are simply too many huge errors that they make to even single out one

For better players: I think that the number one weakness is that they are poor heads up players. Many many times when I get heads up in a SNG I know I am a huge favorite because they are way too passive: limping too many times when the SB is on the button, Failing to call raises or come over the top to slow you down, etc.

The second thing I see is that a lot of would be decent players dont vary their play. Too often you can almost see their cards. Maybe they think that because the competition is normally weak that people are not watching them - but I am /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Note: my comments relate to $20 to $50 SNGs