PDA

View Full Version : I took a beating at NL/50

SlyAK
01-30-2004, 05:30 AM
I really took a beating at NL 50 today on TGC. (Blinds 25/50 cents). I lost my stack 2 times and finished the day down 150 dollars. I had made 500 in the last 2 weeks since switching from low-limit sng's to ring games, but today wasnt my day.

Anyway, a couple hands I wanted to discuss. I am at a new table that has started up and so far there are only 5 people there. I am in the BB with JcTc, with about 40 dollars, as I've already lost a couple hands. All fold to the SB who completes and I check. The SB is super-aggressive by the way. The flop comes 9c8c4d. I like it an open-ended straight flush draw!! The SB immediately goes all-in though. I call thinking I have too good a draw to fold. The turn and river blank, and SB takes it down with TPTK... he had Ac9s... (backdoor flush draw plus the TPTK on the flop). Should I have folded to the all-in there???

2nd hand: I am at a mostly full 10-person table with $55. All fold to the SB who has $120 and is bullying the table. I have AJo (suits not-important) in the BB. He raises to $8, suddenly a strong urge hits me that I am ahead of him and I push in, (almost before I can stop myself). He calls, and the flop is 632r, the turn is a King, and the river is a rag. He takes it down with KJo, a hand I dominated, (supposedly anyway). I think that my all-in was a horrible play in hindsight, but I really wanted to double up and take a piece of that big stack.

Berate me for my pitiful play, and any offers of advice on avoiding this in the future are appreciated.

Thanks,
Sly

gavrilo
01-30-2004, 05:45 AM
Hand #1
If I'm counting this correctly, you have 21 outs to win this hand,
but you don't know this, your opponent could easily have Ax of clubs here and then you drawing same as a open end straight. You've invested .50 into this hand, fold. It might be different story if this hand had more players and/or more money in it.

Hand #2
I think you know already. AJo, what hands do you dominate or aren't a coinflip? Not that many. You happened to catch one of them here and got beat. If you knew for 100% that he had KJo, I would push here everytime, but you don't. Anxious to get a piece of an aggressor's stack and playing sub-optimally(whateverthatis) is a recipe for disaster.

Krytemaster
01-30-2004, 08:02 AM
I must disagree with gavrilo´s response on hand # 1.

If he has the hand he had you are a big favourite, about 65-35.

If he should have two pairs of 9s and 8s you are still the favourite and if he holds a set you are only about a 58-42 underdog.

If he is super-aggressive as you mention he could very well be holding the hand he had and you are a big favourite.

If you are not almost sure that he holds a set in this situation - a call is in order.

If he would have the nut flush draw with one under card to the 9 and the 8, he is a small favourite, but so be it in that case...

Another thing is that you will get a very good image and many players will think that you are very loose (calling a huge overbet with just a draw!) and you can use that against them on future hands.

Regarding hand # 2, I must say that you made a terrible play! With a player like that, wait til you get a really good hand and make your move then and you can double up.

Good luck!

SlyAK
01-31-2004, 04:40 AM
In regards to hand 1, I think it was a clear all-in if I knew he was only on TPTK, but it would be dicey if he had a set or 4 to the nut-flush, but there was really no way I could throw that draw away, it was just too promising.... if I am in the same situation again I think I am still going to call the all in!

As for hand 2, I would go all in every time if I *KNEW* that he had KJo, since with AJo that would be ++EV, but I didn't know that. I have to remember that even very aggressive players get good hands. I didn't even stop to think about the fact that he could have AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ, or JJ, all of which I would be a major dog too. Obviously a stupid play, but we live and learn, I got what I deserved! I had a very good night tonight, so hopefully I learned a little something from last night's debacle /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the feedback,
Sly

jakuda
01-31-2004, 07:36 AM
#1 You are about a 1.8:1 favorite here. I'd push in.
#2 Pushing all in on a $8 bet is kinda risky. 8 is only 15% or so of your stack so you don't need to push in.