PDA

View Full Version : Playing semi-pro poker week 2

nykenny
01-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Monday (Day #5). What a shocker!

I guess no one wins all the time. Since November I have only lost twice on PartyPoker. Well there is a 3rd time for everthing /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

As usual I played 2 6 max and 2 ring. this time it's 10-20 and 15-30. The bad cards and bad flop was evident right from the beginning. Yet I was able to hold my own for the first 2 hours. But 3 hours is what I decided before the session, so i'd stick to it.

had better starting hands than the previous few days actually, although nothing like even remotely a rush at all. Well I am very used to that, so there is no problem. This guy put in 4 bets on the flop heads up with me on a 883 rainbow board with K4s as back door flush. and i capped and led the turn and river only to get raised by his rivered flush... straight runs into flush on short table, nut flush ran into to full house, etc.

so at the end of 3 hours, i quit. the stats on 10-20 shorts are:
Hands played: 425
Flop seen: 36%
Hands won: 13%
-$480

on 15-30:
Hands played: 353
Flop seen: 24% - see, i even losen up a little today /images/graemlins/mad.gif
Hands won: 6% - /images/graemlins/crazy.gif it's been like this for many days
-$1040

Total loss of $1520 in only 3 hours (well -1600 in last hour!)!

no exciting hands to post except things like, i raised LP with 55 after one Limper and headsup. flop ATT two tone. EP bet, i raise (cause i knew he made a info bet). he just called to confirm my read. turn blank, i bet he called. river K offsuit, he checked i checked to see his KJs for busted flushdraw, but rivered a pair. (i didn't think he was folding that K, so i don't regret checking the river).

Or, when I had KQ against a field of 6 ppl flop Qxx two tone, only to lose on the river to preflop raiser behind me who called the whole way with TT which made set on river.

anyway, i quit on the hour as my alarm went off. this is my first losing session since i started trying to "play poker like a pro" /images/graemlins/grin.gif and i hate it!

well tomorrow will be better, like they say, "Better luck tomorrow!"

meanwhile, good luck and good skills to all of you!

Tuesday (Day #6).

Well after a big loss, a small win is always warm and fussy. I was up about +700 a one point and almost had the urge to quit then. But my semi-professionalism tells me that I should finish my hours (which was 3 determined before the session). So I did. And the cards were running semi-bad as usual. At the end, after all the flush under flush, and betting the nut flush draw on the river, I was able to book a disappointing yet not terrible small win of $210. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I took a moment and just reviewed everything in my mind and decided that maybe I was on the loose side, and I probably paid off too much. Had I played perfectly today, I'd possibly had been up around $500 at the end.

Here are the stats for empire tables (http://www.sillymelon.com/images/empire012704.jpg) (short handed), which i think shows pretty terrible run of cards - 11% total hands won. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

And for Party Poker (http://www.sillymelon.com/images/party012704.jpg) (15-30 ring games), I believe I could have saved quite a few bucks had I played somewhat tighter.

Well, I hope you all enjoy this reading and good luck and good skills at the tables! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wednesday (Day #7 of "Playing semi-pro poker").

because of the 4th snow storm of the winter being also the 2nd biggest snow storm for the year, i am on mega tilt. so i decided to work from home, yes i do work. while waiting on some file copying (i am a computer engineer), i was able to get in a quick 1.5 hour session /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

i started my usual 15-30 ring and put myself on the waiting list of some juicy games including the 2 30-60 hold'em. soon after, i found myself down about $200. based on the experience for the past few days, this down turn will last for at least one hour. and i didn't have much time to wait, so i quickly joined 2 10-20 6max tables, and shortly after that, i moved from the 15-30 to yet another 10-20 short. Here i am on 3 10-20 short, and the feeling is great! I see a lot of showdowns and discovered quite a few fishes in addition to the fishes i have already labeled.

i have made some hands today and got some big pay-offs, but i still lacked rush. it's increasingly hard for me to get on any rushes these days, which makes me wonder if this is due to my play style adjustment. I am a tad tighter than before (well a lot), and i am not even as aggressive anymore. This struck me! Maybe i have become a FISH! Only i haven't realized. But, but... the results shows I am doing quite well and consistent. Why don't I feel any flare in my games anymore? Though I still have tons of fun play online or offline (a lot less recently due to my taste for higher limit in live games).

Leaving the puzzles unsolved, I went on to play a normal game (B+ i guess for myself, 70% auto pilot and 10% player specific). Because of the mega fishes (excluding myself), I was able to maximize a little and catch soem bluffs. At the end, without much struggling, I was up $605, when I decided it was time to quit - uh, it was not on the 2 hour mark as i planned. but 1.5 hour is just fine, 'cause i do still have other responsibility to take care of right now.

OK, back to the real job... where are my files now?

{nykenny is busy trying to look buzy, forgetting the boss is not even here /images/graemlins/tongue.gif}

Quick updates: Still day 7.

My friend came over after we had lunch together (we both work from home today) and wanted to watch me play some poker. He has always been very curious how i can win at poker. Though he play some online poker himself, he seems to think that poker is largely controlled by luck.

So I he pulled a chair next to me and i logged on to my empire account. time for a little 5-10 6max. To spice things up, I offer to play his account at the same time for him, which he gradly accepted. An hour later. I won $165 on my 5-10 games and lost $40 for him on the $1-2 tables. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Too bad for my friend.

Later in the evening, I was alone again. Being my normal self, i had to do something. another quick session sounded like a good idea. So I cranked up 2 5-10 short games on empire and 2 10-20 short games on party. carefully played for an hour and found myself winning about $500. As I clicked off the auto-post-blind box, in one of my 10-20 games, i posted BB! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I was dealt Q4o and utg & button called, SB folded i called. Flop Q33 rainbow. I bet, UTG called. Turn K, 2 spades, I bet, UTG raised (as i half expected). I folded and that left me with 460 winning. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

So yea, for the day, I played 3.5 hours and won $1230 total. Escaped again, i guess.

Thursday (Day #8).
2 quick hours of ($5-$10 6max)x2 and ($10-$20 6max)x2, up $330. quit. stats for 5-10 are here (http://www.sillymelon.com/images/empire012904.jpg). and for 10-20 look here (http://www.sillymelon.com/images/party012904.jpg).

Hope your week has been good as well,

Kenny

Mikey
01-30-2004, 12:58 AM
kenny when dealing with these losses...make sure you keep your head at all times.

Remember losing in Poker...is all part of the process.
Don't be discouraged.

In the end you will win.

Good Luck bro.

Vehn
01-30-2004, 01:40 AM
Why do you think anyone cares?

Mikey
01-30-2004, 02:28 AM
Vehn now that's not nice. By the way.... please please please... take a picture of your bankroll with a digital camera and post it up here.

I love it!!

steeser
01-30-2004, 09:53 AM
I think you need a bit of a reality check, making statements like:

"And the cards were running semi-bad as usual." and
"had better starting hands than the previous few days actually, although nothing like even remotely a rush at all. Well I am very used to that, so there is no problem."

If you have only lost 3 days on Party since November, I don't care how great you are, the cards you've been getting are nowhere near as bad as you let on.

glen
01-30-2004, 10:16 AM
"If you have only lost 3 days on Party since November, I don't care how great you are, the cards you've been getting are nowhere near as bad as you let on."

I agree, and I also think that if he usually plays two or three hour sessions, he may be fabricating the truth a little. . .

Vehn
01-30-2004, 10:45 AM
If I don't, what are you gonna do? Fold at me?

nykenny
01-30-2004, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"If you have only lost 3 days on Party since November, I don't care how great you are, the cards you've been getting are nowhere near as bad as you let on."

I agree, and I also think that if he usually plays two or three hour sessions, he may be fabricating the truth a little. . .

[/ QUOTE ]
i might be on a good luck streak anyway despite of not so exciting opening cards.. btw i have been beating the party games since August. so there's got to be a lot of good luck involved.. however, i did suffer a big losing session of 5500 in Sept. that was vividly remembered. So to say that i will continue to run at a 42:3 win/loss rate is probably (most likely) not realistic.

but it sure doesn't hurt to enjoy a little bit while to rush is lasting...

i don't think many care how well or bad i am doing, but i am sure there are people especially newbies who are interested and might find some of these posts motivating.

as for me, i was very interested when i first read Davidross and Soda's posts a couple of months back... and they sure were motivating to me.

thanks for reading,

kenny

Mike Gallo
01-30-2004, 11:55 AM

Homer
01-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Probably the same reason you think people care about your cat.

Vehn
01-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Sorry, you're 100% correct - just for you I'll stop posting "My cat week 15" threads here.

p.s. Be sure not to choke on the $250 in affiliate rake return Party has sent you for my play in the past month.

Homer
01-30-2004, 02:49 PM
p.s. Be sure not to choke on the $250 in affiliate rake return Party has sent you for my play in the past month.

Actually, back then I was doing the per signup plan, which, if you recall, I split with you. So, there is no $250/month for me to choke on, sadly.

-- Homer

nykenny
01-30-2004, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Actually, back then I was doing the per signup plan, which, if you recall, I split with you. So, there is no $250/month for me to choke on, sadly.

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

it is pretty sad, because, it is usually much more than $250 /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vehn
01-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Oops.

Homer
01-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Yes, oops. I will be living in a cardboard box in no time.

nykenny
01-31-2004, 02:06 AM
Friday (Day #9)

play time: 2 hours
session win: +$??? who cares
luck level: low
skill level: medium
self control: high
disipline: medium
patience: low
aggression: high
mental state: tired, tilting (but i stopped right before tilting /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

character: cheerful, personable

question of the session: is it right to cap (4 bets) b4 the flop with a hand KJo in position against QTo heads up? (don't ask me how i knew what he had. /images/graemlins/mad.gif)

good luck (no more wishing good skills, as i found out i'd rather have luck),

kenny

ps. does this (http://www.sillymelon.com/images/party013004.jpg) look like 6 max stats?

nykenny
01-31-2004, 11:26 AM
same soup, different day...