PDA

View Full Version : Q9s in the CO

devinthedude
01-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Party 2/4 6 handed

Folded to Dude w/ Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the CO, dude raises. button calls, sb calls, 3 to flop. Button is ridiculous loose passive, but sb is decent.

Flop is 945 rainbow. Checked to dude, dude bets. Both call.

Turn is 7 completing the rainbow. SB checks, dude bets. button calls, sb checkraises. SB is a halfway decent player, he doesn't have a str8. Dump this here without a second thought?

I put SB on 66 or 88 and reraised to try and kill the button. Button folded and SB called and it got checked thru on the river when a blank hit.

Good, bad????

Results in white, cuz its cool:

<font color="white"> SB took it down w/ 4h5h</font>

Thanx in advance for all comments.

devinthedude
01-30-2004, 03:00 AM
Am I such a dick that nobody every wants to respond to my posts?

jerrybai125
01-30-2004, 04:27 AM
I like the play, if u wanted to call down, 3-betting and gonig for a freeshowdown if u dont improve and betting again if u do improve while getting out the button is a good play, you will pay the same amount and there is a chance u have the best hand according to if u think sb could play 88 or 66 like this.

Bob T.
01-30-2004, 04:37 AM
Am I that much of a dick?

I don't know, but you could be a little more patient. I think you played this one well, and maybe people didn't find a lot to comment on here.

MrBlini
01-30-2004, 09:39 AM
I don't like knocking out the button on the turn. You've said that the button is loose passive and that SB is a good player. The turn check-raise by the SB should tell you that you are likely behind at this point. It's unlikely that the button holds a better 9. It's time to play out the hand like a half-dead fish.

You're either behind the SB or not. Putting SB on a hand here is very dangerous.

Knocking out the button if you are still ahead gives you a small profit when SB calls and prevents the button from taking a low-percentage longshot at outdrawing you on the river.

Knocking out the button if you are behind is quite costly. Your redraw outs, if you have any, are unlikely to help the button. Knocking the button out eliminates a player who seems happy to put single bets in the pot and pay the winner off. This player is almost certainly drawing dead to your redraw. Worse, he's likely to stay in with the few hands that you really want out (A9, K9, Q9, and QQ). It's far preferable here to let the button stay in and to see the river as cheaply as possible. In this scenario, when the button stays in with longshot junk, he is increasing your winning share and costing the SB should he draw out. 3-betting the turn will be maximally costly if you knock out the button only to get capped. Are you going to call two more big bets? Are you going to fold having put in as many bets as it would have taken to get you through the showdown? Why risk this?

On balance, you will make much more in this situation by calling the hand down. You will curse me out in the infrequent situations in which you are ahead of the SB and a J hits on the river to make button's J4o good.

Well played otherwise.