PDA

View Full Version : Behind a raise after posting blind one off the button

ike
01-29-2004, 06:16 PM
.25/.50 UB 10 handed
This is my first hand at the table and I post blind 1 off the button. Theres an EP raise and its folded to me with ATo. If I haven't posted, or even if I'm in the BB this is an easy fold. But here I have position on him and I'm getting very good pot odds (whether the blinds fold or call, the pot is either way bigger than it would be if I were to make this same call in the BB). Nonetheless, the call felt kinda wrong. Was it a mistake to call with ATo here? To me it seems like ATo is right on the margin for a call here. ATs would be an obvious call, and I believe AJo would be too. A9o is an easy fold.

Trix
01-29-2004, 06:23 PM
If he is a good player, its an easy fold. But since you just sat, its hard to know. Id prolly fold cuz it would be too expensive finding out wether his kicker is better if you flop an ace or if he has an overpair if it gets Ten high.
Anyways, never do that again :P , just wait for the blind, read some forums meanwhile or something.

ike
01-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Why is posting 1 off the button a bad idea? If paying 1.5 sb in blinds, posting out of position, for 10 hands is normally profitable for you, shouldn't posting 1 sb, with position, for 7 hands be at least as good? In fact, it seems to me like posting 1 off the button might be marginally better than coming in as the BB. Is my thinking horribly flawed?

spamuell
01-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Anyways, never do that again :P , just wait for the blind

If I'm lucky enough to sit down in the CO, I will post there. If you wait for the blind, it already makes the table think you're some kind of rock if they're paying any attention (well ok they're probably not, but you never know /images/graemlins/smirk.gif), and they tighten up against you.

Assuming 10-handedness, if you post in the CO you get dealt dealt 7 hands for 1SB. Posting blinds gives you 10 hands for 1.5 SB, so posting in the CO is actually slightly +EV compared to waiting for the blinds, and you have position if you happen to see a free flop, which is useful.

Gomez22
01-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Since you're essentially getting at least 5.5-1 for a flat out call (9-1 if both blinds & button come along), I'd call it and see the flop. Also, you have no reads on EP raiser, so if the flop whiffs me, I'm folding asap.