PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid $3 rebuy hand

Guy McSucker
01-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Pokerstars $3 rebuy supersatellite. Never played one of these before. Wow, it's ridiculous.

100 remain, 14 seats and a $188 prize for 15th. Blinds 300-600 ante 50. I am fourth in chips overall with 40k; average is 20k. Chip leader has 70k and is immediately to my right! He has been seeing a lot of flops and making a lot of bets to take them down. On the other hand he has not run into much aggression so I don't know how he'd respond to it.

I have black AA. Folded to chip leader, who limps. I make it 2400, BB thinks but folds, chip leader calls.

Flop: T-4-4, two diamonds. Chip leader checks. I bet 6000, more or less the pot. He calls time then makes it 12000.

What's your play? Do supersatellite survival considerations come into it here?

Oh hell I'll post the results here: I moved in, he called with K4offsuit. I assume he will win a seat.

Guy.

Che
01-29-2004, 05:30 PM
I knew there was a reason why I stopped playing rebuy tourneys...

Acesover8s
01-29-2004, 05:51 PM
The minraise screams big hand. But who knows what he thinks a big hand is. I lose all my chips here, curse myself for knowing that I could get away from it and then I post in on 2+2.

Why didn't you catch an Ace on the river?

I gave up on playing these rebuy tournaments. I am not maniacal enough to generate a huge stack before the rebuy period, and then after the rebuy period you have to dodge bullets from these big stack morons. I'm sure these tourneys are very positive EV, but the SD has got to be Ginormous.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-29-2004, 06:14 PM
The only guy at the table who has you covered has just checkraised a preflop raiser the minimum.

If you fold, you have 50x BB left.

Do supersatellite survival considerations come into it here?

When I go back and read what I wrote above the quote, the answer seems to be a clear yes. I wonder if I'd have the discipline to take my own advice.

Guy McSucker
01-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys.

Yes, acesover8s, I made the same dumb mistake you keep making: failing to catch on the river. It is a big failing. I did actually intend to catch the ace, but changed my mind at the last minute.

Your posts give me heart. I kind of knew that taking on the chipleader was a mistake. He had pushed me off a couple of pots in the past, which clouded my judgement. The thing is, in the previous cases I'd shown weakness, which I have not done here.

Also, his calling TIME before pulling the min-raise should have given me the clue.

Oh well. Six bucks lost. It was a blast getting 40k chips and blowing them in one hand!

Guy.

cferejohn
01-29-2004, 08:32 PM
I don't think there is any way I am laying this down. I fully expect him to have a 10 or even two diamonds. Make a note that he is extremely loose (at least when he has a huge stack) and move on.

brassnuts
01-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Before that hand, had he given the indication that he was the type of retard to call a large raise with X4? Did put him on TT maybe? Also, considering he possessed such a large stack, I might have raised a bit more preflop. But, hey, I'm just a newbie, and that really only looks like a good idea in retrospect.

sdplayerb
01-30-2004, 02:06 AM
I throw it away as survival is the key and you should have a great shot even if you lay this down. You have to figure he doesn't want to risk half his stack on top pair.
I also would have raised more against somebody else that can hurt me.

DrPhysic
01-30-2004, 06:15 AM
You are right, It's ridiculous. But also very +EV.

I respectfully disagree with acesover8s:
[ QUOTE ]
I am not maniacal enough to generate a huge stack before the rebuy period, and then after the rebuy period you have to dodge bullets from these big stack morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to. The strategy I have used is buy in, rebuy once, go immediately into very tight survival mode. In fact I know at least one player that never plays a hand the first hour, blinds cut him to about 2700 after the hour, takes the addon, starts the game with 4700 in the second hour. The first hour is crazyness, and is the final proof of the statement "early leader=crazy loose maniacal poker player" (don't remember how the quote read, but that's how it applies here)

I never push in this game (in the first two hours anyway) without the absolute nuts. If an idiot simply falls down in front of me begging for a mack truck, and I have the hand, I hit him. Unlike other games where 1/3 of the pot goes to the one high stack at the end and 3/4 of the pot goes to the last table, there are 10-15-20 maybe 30 winners here, and the last place winner gets the same prize as first. I seldom push. I will call an all in more often, or re-raise a silly bet, because I have the hand and an idiot is playing every hand, but survival is first. Even idiots get aces once in every 221 hands.

If I get to the end of the hour with only the 3000 I bought, fine. I would like to get to the end of the hour with 5-6K. Then I take the addon. I treat these as a $9 buy-in game. At the beginning of the second hour avg stack is 4500-5000. You want to be ahead of average stack and stay that way. I usually have 6K to 9K at the start of the second hour. 13K only once. And the chip leader had 35.

In the first 30 minutes of the second hour 1/3 of the players will go out. Look for chances to pick up easy chips when you have the hands. No 50/50 shots. The crazy bettors that fell into an early chip lead will come back to the pack, and the solid players will have the chips by the end of the third hour. Fourth hour effectively the crazys are gone, play your normal game, but always survive first to be one of those 10, 20, or 30 winners. In the satellites for the 500+ there are about 2/5 the number of winners, therefore in the middle game late second to early fourth hour, you have to be a little more agressive to build a bit bigger stack. But I would rather be agressive against you or acesover8s who play sensibly, than against the first hour "what the hell, it's only 3 bux" bunch.

General rule: stay 30%-50% above chip average and survive. Very patiently wait for the good hands. Chip avg = top 40%, 1.5xchip avg = top 20%. (It's a very skewed bell curve. the mean and median aren't even close). Thats all you need. The idiots will fall out.

I play only Friday night, and usually replay on Saturday if I don't get in the first time. This strategy has gotten me into the Sunday tournament 4 weeks of the last 6 from a $3+addons satellite. (Now you can tell me how to win the damn Sunday thing!)

Also: Read eMarkM's post about the $11+addons cash tournament.

Doc

Eric P
01-30-2004, 08:11 AM
You probably don't need to overbet the pot liike that on the flop, less would probably be better there (~4500), i mean after all you would like some action from a hand W/o a four and isn't TT. His raise doesn't mean you have to fold, but you also don't have to shove right now. If he has a four you are basically dead, if he has any other hand he is basically dead, i like to see what he does on the turn, and maybe it helps you, like an ace or something. Is this guy going to call with AT here? He will only call that all-in if you are dead.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-30-2004, 08:57 AM
I am not maniacal enough to generate a huge stack before the rebuy period

You don't have to be. I've come out of the rebuy in a couple of these in the top 10% by playing very tight/aggressive. The key is, because everybody else is being wild, when you have the best hand, you will get paid off. Sometimes by multiple players.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I don't think there is any way I am laying this down.

Before I say this, I want to stress that I generally respect your opinions.

OK, how can you say you couldn't lay this down? You raised preflop and got your strong bet into a paired flop checkraised. How often is this a bluff? If you ask yourself 'what hand that called preflop could contain a 4?' Aren't answers (at this level) of 'suited ace, suited K, suited connector' reasonable? Those are very reasonable hands a big stack might play heads-up to a raise.

I'm also suspicious of the minimum reraise. That makes it look like he doesn't want me to fold.

Folding here hurts a bit psychologically, but its not that hard.

Guy McSucker
01-30-2004, 02:25 PM
You probably don't need to overbet the pot liike that on the flop, less would probably be better there (~4500)

I bet 6000 into a pot of 6150.

Guy.