PDA

View Full Version : Aces

sfer
01-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Full table live. UTG is a little hard to read but he's rolling. He's taken every showdown he's gotten to, sometimes with garbage pockets, but always with monster hands. In four orbits I've been at the table, he's gone from 1.5 racks to 2.5 racks. Slightly loose raising standards (Q10 UTG+1), plays well postflop.

UTG raises, EP calls two cold. I 3-bet with black Aces in the CO. Calling station in the SB stays in character, UTG and EP call.

Four to the flop for 13 SBs. Flop comes QJ9 rainbow. Checked to me, I bet, SB folds, UTG calls, EP folds.

Turn is a blank. UTG checks, I bet, UTG raises.

What do you do, what's the plan?

Bob T.
01-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Call the turn, call the river.

onegymrat
01-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Hi sfer,

Let's see, from what you can see, UTG is hard to read (unpredictable), shows monster hands, plays well postflop, aggressive preflop with surprising hands, and he's up a rack or two. He's my hero. Ask for a table change.

Back to your hand. What do you do? Call him down of course.

sfer
01-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the responses. I called him down and called the river, which came another 9, giving him jacks full.

Given his play I felt strongly that I was behind on the turn to a straight or a set and drawing exceptionally thin to dead. I really feel like I should have folded there, but it gives me some comfort that you guys would have called him down too. I feel like releasing big but likely losing hands with little hope of improvement is a serious leak that I have to plug.

As for changing tables, there was no need. He left a couple of orbits later when he filled his 3rd rack.

jonahmavesin
01-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Definitely call down. Two pair is just as likely as a set, straight is much less likely on the flop. If it is two pair, you're good if the board pairs and misses him (e.g., he has QJ and the 2nd 9 drops), not to mention spiking your ace. It's a big pot anyway, so two bets to call is worth it.

ike
01-30-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
aggressive preflop with surprising hands

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the nicest way I've ever heard "maniac" put. Being aggressive preflop with surprising hands is bad. If it was a good idea to be aggressive with them they wouldn't be surprising. And being up a rack in 4 orbits probably means very little, about your play. Sure this guy might be good, but it sounds more like he's lucky. He's shown down monster hands that started with trash hole cards, thats not a skill.

sfer
01-30-2004, 12:32 PM
I see what you mean, but I don't think your characterization is accurate in this situation, although there was certainly an element of luck to his winning that night. He saw few flops and folded a normal amount on the flop and the trash he showed down (unsuited connectors) were limped in from late position and flopping draws to the nuts with lots of callers.

I wanted to give the impression that he was surprising in his hand choices but skillful in his play to see if other people would lay down Aces after he checkraised me. When he was in up to the turn, he always had a strong hand or a big draw.

onegymrat
01-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi Ike,

[ QUOTE ]
This is the nicest way I've ever heard "maniac" put.

[/ QUOTE ]Which part of sfer's post gave you the impression that villain was a maniac? His exact words were, "...slightly loose raising standards." Perhaps you should stick to the poster's description instead of drawing to your own conclusion.

[ QUOTE ]
Being aggressive preflop with surprising hands is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]So I guess being predictable is good?

[ QUOTE ]
Sure this guy might be good, but it sounds more like he's lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like you've had one too many bad beats.

[ QUOTE ]
He's shown down monster hands that started with trash hole cards, thats not a skill.

[/ QUOTE ]No, playing them preflop may not be. But when you know how to play them postflop and win the pot, that's skill.

bmedwar
01-30-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being aggressive preflop with surprising hands is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]So I guess being predictable is good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know HFAP says that you should occasionally raise with 98s from early position against observant opponents. If that wouldn't be surprising to you, I don't know what would be.

onegymrat
01-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi Brian,

Who are you talking to?