PDA

View Full Version : Yay!..Boo!...yay. Close, but no new car.

TripDuck
01-29-2004, 12:26 PM
I originally posted this in the wrong section of the forums mainly because I wasn't paying attention and I will repost it here.

I was playing at my local card club when this happened. I will try to convey all the emotions I felt during this hand. I am playing 2/4 limit with a full table and no reads on a bunch of new players who came over from a busted table. 10 players.

I am dealt A J /images/graemlins/spade.gif is MP. Everyone folds to me so I raise to make it $4 to go. It is folded to a new player in the small blind who raises it to six. (ooooh, trouble.) BB then reraises it to $8. (Dangit. I was hoping the would go away.) I call. (smart, not smart? I'll leave it up to you good peoples.) SB caps it at $10, BB calls, and I figured 'what the hell' and I call. 3 to the flop for $30.

Flop comes A J A. Yay!! I can't remember the suits, but I am guessing that it must have had 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif's in it for reason that I will explain later. SB bets, BB raises, I reraise..yada, yada, yada..it's capped again.

Now, I am trying to figure out what everybody has. AK? JJ? What? I fear that AK is out there. But then, I think that if my hand is busted I am going to get paid HUGE. Like the lion's share of $30,000 for that bad beat jackpot. Now, I am praying to get beat. My heart has not stopped pounding since the flop. I am sure that I am not well pokerfaced at this moment and everybody could figure out what my pulse rate is at the next table.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Poop. SB bets, BB raises, I re-reraise...yada, yada, yada..capped. I think that makes this pot around, what, $90-100.

Turn: K

Yay! I am beat!!! I was beaming. SB Bets, BB reraises, I re-reraise, SB raises again. Now, I am thinking that this is my new minivan. He has the king. BB calls. I call thinking that I just won a new car and I just wanted to see my eventual jackpot.

Showdown.

BB: Q J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Wha? Busted Diamond draw?
SB: A Q poop. No new car, but a very healthy pot.

Lucky flop, good pot, but no jackpot. I do have a question. Why would QJ guy stick around to see if his jack was any good? Would you?

Alobar
01-29-2004, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do have a question. Why would QJ guy stick around to see if his jack was any good? Would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no, but God bless the guy, He's what makes this game profitable for the rest of us.

TripDuck
01-29-2004, 01:18 PM
The other question I had was that I was playing A J /images/graemlins/spade.gif against two raisers from the blinds. Was it right for me to call all these raises with that hand? I felt at that point I was behind, and I was to AQ until the flop. Should I have mucked this preflop in most cases?

Alobar
01-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Once your in the pot that you open raised with, with a good hand (which AJs is) and it comes back to you re raised, I don't think folding is a good plan. Now if you had limped with AJo and it comes back to you 3 bet or something, then folding might be a good plan (assuming the players doing the raising raise with good cards), but your suited and your in the pot for 2 bets already, so staying is the right play I think.

Bob T.
01-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Given that you are playing against someone who is going to give unlimited action when you flop the nuts, and QJ suited guy is at the table, you probably want to see the flop with AJ suited, even if it costs you 5 small bets.