PDA

View Full Version : Another shining example of the #1 site in Customer Service

Vehn
01-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Tuesday night I sent a mildly nasty email to Party in regards to the "buttons disappearing" problem I've been having. I included the flopped set hand I posted earlier here and threatened to withdraw my account (high 4 figures) and play elsewhere if my problem wasn't addressed and taken care of.

Wednesday night I resent the same email as I didn't get any response in 24 hours and got somewhat more nasty.

Thursday morning I receive this:

> Dear Player,
>
> Thank you for contacting PartyPoker.com!
>
> Due to technical difficulties in the past couple of days, we were unable
> to receive your mails. If you have contacted us via phone or chat and
> your concern has been addressed please ignore this mail. Else, please
> feel free to contact us via mail, phone or live chat.
>
> For immediate help, please call our toll free number + 1 (888) 206-4659
> or click on our live help feature located in the PartyPoker.com lobby.
>
> You can also browse our Frequently Asked Questions, located at
> http://www.partypoker.com/help/faq.html
>
> Thank you for choosing PartyPoker.com!!
>
> The Customer Care Department

WTF

This doesn't even make sense.

Lori
01-29-2004, 11:13 AM
This is funny stuff, even by their standards.

Lori

PuppetMaster
01-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Me: Hi, when will the sit n go tournaments be running again?
Floor Person: Im sorry, what is a tournament?

Cyndie
01-29-2004, 12:05 PM

Insp. Clue!So?
01-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Post of the Year so far...

itsmarty
01-29-2004, 01:38 PM
I got the same email, but I actually felt better after receiving it. I was happier to hear that they didn't receive my email than to think I was being ignored (as appeared to be the case previously).

You might wonder how they knew someone had emailed them in the first place, so here's a sanitized excerpt from a mail server log:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>2004-01-29_11-47.log:12:29:08.79 2 QUEUE([770810]) from &lt;adam@vada.co.us&gt;, 31736 bytes (&lt;HS9AOL00.O3K@usilws08a.com&gt;)
2004-01-29_11-47.log:12:29:09.11 2 QUEUE([770811]) from &lt;mike@indonet.id&gt;, 31933 bytes (&lt;HS9AOS00.R3D@usilws08a.com&gt;)
2004-01-29_11-47.log:12:29:09.46 2 QUEUE([770812]) from &lt;linda@ebhg.com&gt;, 32155 bytes (&lt;HS9APA00.V3I@usilws08a.com </pre><hr />

Should I lose the actual mail, all I know is who sent me mail and at what time. It's possible this happened at Party, and they're trying to make it right by contacting everyone who tried to reach them.

Martin

Vehn
01-31-2004, 11:12 PM
My dear Ramya,

I can 100% guarantee you this is NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING. 1st off, the
buttons simply never appear, NOT dissappear before something goes through.
2nd off, if what you're saying is the case, how is it possible for me to
type in 3 lines into the chat box but unable to check/bet/raise in the hand
I attached, having FLOPPED A FREAKING SET IN A 15/30 GAME? Also, your
expert elite software should be saying something other than "Your connection
is very good" if what you are saying is the actual case. WHICH IT IS NOT.
This continues to happen including today and I am simply fed up with it.
FIX IT.

----- Original Message -----
To: &lt;coz23@comcast.net&gt;
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 8:00 PM
Subject: RE:[iglobalmedia.com #35082] FW:Re: Technical problem - buttons
disappearing [#564900]

&gt; Dear Chris,
&gt;
&gt; With regards to your email, you have mentioned that you were facing
&gt; problems where in you were shown the check/bet/raise options which
&gt; disappears before you were given a chance to click on these options.
&gt; Please understand that this may happen because of Internet Delays.
&gt;
&gt; When you are playing online poker, the amount of information that
&gt; passes to and fro every second is much more than when you surf the
&gt; Internet. This is why, you should ensure that you have the best
&gt; possible connection. We request you to please logout and log back in
&gt; immediately, when you face such a problem.Please contact your Internet
&gt; Service Provider and get your connection checked so that you donot
&gt; face these problems.
&gt;
&gt; If you still are facing the same problems after you contact your
&gt; Internet Service Provider , We suggest that you give us a call at our
&gt; Toll Free Number so that we can help you on this online.
&gt;
&gt; If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to
&gt; contact our Customer Care Department at any time. We are here 24/7 to
&gt; assist you either via our live help feature or via email.
&gt;
&gt; Sincerely,
&gt;
&gt; Ramya S
&gt; Technical Support Team.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; [techsupport@partypoker.com - Fri Jan 30 19:00:00 2004]:
&gt;
&gt; &gt; --Original Message--
&gt; &gt; From: coz23@comcast.net
&gt; &gt; Date: 2004-01-29 23:56
&gt; &gt; To: info@partypoker.com
&gt; &gt; Subject: Re: Technical problem - buttons disappearing[#564900]
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; 3rd attempt, 48 hours since original message. I'll just keep doing
&gt; this
&gt; &gt; until I'm properly told there's nothing you can do and its not your
&gt; fault.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; ----- Original Message -----
&gt; &gt; From: "coz" &lt;coz23@comcast.net&gt;
&gt; &gt; To: &lt;support@partypoker.com&gt;
&gt; &gt; Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 10:26 PM
&gt; &gt; Subject: Technical problem - buttons disappearing
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; 2nd attempt, 24 hours later. A response would be nice.
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; ----- Original Message -----
&gt; &gt; &gt; From: "coz" &lt;coz23@comcast.net&gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; To: &lt;support@partypoker.com&gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 10:41 PM
&gt; &gt; &gt; Subject: Technical problem - buttons disappearing
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Hello, my account name is "genj23". For the past week or so I
&gt; have
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; intermittently had a very bad problem with your software. For
&gt; seemingly
&gt; &gt; &gt; no
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; reason at all, the check/bet/fold buttons disappear on my table
&gt; and I am
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; unable to act, and time out and go all in. This happens maybe
&gt; once
&gt; &gt; every
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; few hours. For example, see the below hand:
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; ***** Hand History for Game 356042678 *****
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; 15/30 TEXASHTGAMETABLE (LIMIT) - MON JAN 26 21:56:13 EST 2004
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Table Card Room Table 4059 (Real Money) -- Seat 7 is the button
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Total number of players : 10
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 1: tunatamer ( $2812)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 2: Jeffage ( $1633.50)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 3: genj23 ( $1459)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 4: spy61 ( $1061)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 5: monkeytrap ( $750)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 6: sacker ( $2201)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 7: HHammer ( $1228)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 8: fireman63 ( $1589.50)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 9: Nekalot ( $216)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Seat 10: bigace170 ( $1682)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; fireman63 posts small blind (10)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Nekalot posts big blind (15)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; monkeytrap posts big blind (15)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; ** Dealing down cards **
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Dealt to genj23 [ 8s, 8d ]
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; bigace170 folds.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; tunatamer folds.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Jeffage calls (15)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; genj23 raises (30) to 30
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; spy61 folds.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; monkeytrap folds.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; sacker folds.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; HHammer folds.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; fireman63 calls (20)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Nekalot folds.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Jeffage calls (15)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; ** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8c, Jd, Ts ]
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; fireman63 checks.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Jeffage checks.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; genj23: ...
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; genj23: well thats just great
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; genj23: no buttons
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; genj23 could not respond in time.(disconnected)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; genj23 calls all-In.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Creating main pot with $117 with players genj23
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; ** Dealing Turn ** : [ 6h ]
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; ** Dealing River ** : [ 9s ]
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; ** Summary **
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Main Pot: $117 | | Rake: $3
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Board: [ 8c Jd Ts 6h 9s ]
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; tunatamer balance $2812, didn't bet (folded)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Jeffage balance $1603.50, lost $30 [ 5h Ah ] [ high card ace --
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Ah,Jd,Ts,9s,8c ]
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; genj23 balance $1546, bet $30, collected $117, net +$87 [ 8s
&gt; 8d ] [
&gt; &gt; &gt; three
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; of
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; a kind, eights -- Jd,Ts,8s,8d,8c ]
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; spy61 balance $1061, didn't bet (folded)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; monkeytrap balance $735, lost $15 (folded)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; sacker balance $2201, didn't bet (folded)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; HHammer balance $1228, didn't bet (folded)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; fireman63 balance $1559.50, lost $30 [ 5d 3c ] [ high card
&gt; jack --
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Jd,Ts,9s,8c,6h ]
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Nekalot balance $201, lost $15 (folded)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; bigace170 balance $1682, didn't bet (folded)
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Obviously this is completely unacceptable. I have tried doing a
&gt; full
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; uninstall and reinstall of your software, and there has been no
&gt; changes.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Please tell me what I can do to fix this problem, or I will have
&gt; no
&gt; &gt; choice
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; but to withdraw my balance and play elsewhere. Thank you.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Chris
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt;

Lori
01-31-2004, 11:20 PM
&gt; Ramya S

This guy must be Ramashiva in a new guise.

Lori

BreakEvenPlayer
01-31-2004, 11:57 PM
This is one of the risks of online poker... Sounds like a prob. with your computer or internet provider.

Hotchile
02-01-2004, 12:14 AM
I kept typing in test. My cards would be staring me in the face and there was nothing I could do about it. It caused some real hardship in a 2/4 NL game. I bet and got raised and then nothing. I had no buttons to respond with but the software put me all in. I would rather they just folded my hand. Fortunately, I didn't win the hand. If I would have fluked out I don't know what I would have done.

I have since cashed out of party and do not expect to return any time soon.

HC

AviD
02-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Been happening to me over and over and over. 3 calls into tech support providing hand numbers, tables, etc...and no turn around.

They were supposed to call me back and email me regarding the problems...I've received neither.

Obviously I'm not the only one having this problem and not the only one tired of it. And it makes NO SENSE from a programming perspective that the buttons disappear because of internet delay and/or packet loss. That is a GUI based interface and if it is bound to the TCP/IP (network) layer in such a fashion that it depends on 100% connectivity through the decisive timeframe, i.e. choosing, (although chatting does not) in order to acquire your betting option...the programmers need to be shot.

Internet connectivity is not guaranteed...and them putting the blame and responsibility on the ISP (or any other factor beyond their software) is unacceptable. The software should be coded in such a fashion to handle the variance in internet connectivity states, including intermittent packet loss, interuptions, losses, etc.

I'm with you Vehn...this is ridiculous. I'm very close to cashing out of Party entirely...but enjoy the relatively loose games.

Another example of [censored] overseas and outsourced software...which is a whole other beast of a conversation!

William
02-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Try contacting Lucy Jones at 222-222-222. That should help /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frozen
02-18-2004, 08:11 PM
"Me: Hi, when will the sit n go tournaments be running again?
Floor Person: Im sorry, what is a tournament?"

Is this a joke, or an actual floorperson chat log?

CardCuda
02-18-2004, 08:51 PM
IMAO - A person named "RAMYA" is in technical support.

Some kind of hidden message there - lol.

MicroBob
02-18-2004, 10:55 PM
"This is one of the risks of online poker... Sounds like a prob. with your computer or internet provider. "

this situation is goes far beyond your everyday internet-lag probs. lots of players have been experiencing this recently on party and have posted about it here.
thankfully, i have not had this problem at all. i only play on empire currently, but i suspect that shouldn't make a difference.

the fact that customer support is responding in such a ridiculous fashion when people like Mike O'Malley (and possibly others) actually KNOW that there really is a problem is just weird.

i think perhaps all the peopl on here who have this problem should get together their relevant information to see if they can find anything related (old operating system, old computer, isp). i'm not smart enough to know what this link could be.....but maybe you guys will discover something.
just a thought.

i would also try calling them directly and/or e-mailing lucy jones directly. and/or maybe mike o'malley/

CORed
02-19-2004, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you are playing online poker, the amount of information that
passes to and fro every second is much more than when you surf the
Internet.

[/ QUOTE ].

Let's see for the download, the server has to tell the client which card you have. There are 52 possible cards. We 2^6 is 64, so we need 6 bits to transmit a card value. That makes a whopping 42 bits to transmit your pocket cards and the board cards, plus 12 bits for each player who shows his hand. We need to transmit the amount of each bet/raise. A 32 bit integer would probably be used here, so we have a massive 32 bits for each bet.

Upload, the client needs to transmit each action: fold, check, bet, call, raise. 5 possibilites. We need a whole 3 bits per action here. Of course, it would be easier to program just using an integer to represent all the actions and cards, means 32 bits for each card, action, or bet value transmitted. Even so, It really takes very little data transfer to run a poker game. A web page with lots of images and several pages of text takes a lot more bandwidth than a hand (or a whole round) of poker. Of course, since Party's software was written in India, they probably just transmit the whole table as a graphic every time something happens.

CORed
02-19-2004, 05:50 AM
They're riding high right now, because their marketing is almost as good as their software and customer service are bad. Lot's of people play there because the games are soft. The games are soft because apparently lots of fish haven't figured out that they don't have to put up with crappy software and bad customer service. However, I think Party is starting to piss off enough customers that they will start to decline soon.

Curiously, I haven't experienced the "missing buttons" problem. In fact, with a new computer with a Pentium 4 2.6 gHz processor, 512mb ram, Windows XP Professional and dsl, their software works great. OTOH, on my recently retired Pentium 166 mHz with win95 and 28.8 dialup, Party's last "upgrade" made them almost unplayable. I couldn't even get the lobby list to scroll without ridiculous lag, and kept timing out when, after much pain and frustration, I finally managed to get on a table. I cashed out all but $25. I intended to cash it all out, but I still had $25 on a table that had crashed. It's ridiculous that it takes so much computing power and bandwidth to make a poker clietn run. If it was even halfway well designed, it should run on a 386 with a 9600 bps modem. In fact, Paradise's client ran with no problems on my old machine, provided I turned off the animations, etc.

bicyclekick
02-19-2004, 06:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you are playing online poker, the amount of information that
passes to and fro every second is much more than when you surf the
Internet.

[/ QUOTE ].

Let's see for the download, the server has to tell the client which card you have. There are 52 possible cards. We 2^6 is 64, so we need 6 bits to transmit a card value. That makes a whopping 42 bits to transmit your pocket cards and the board cards, plus 12 bits for each player who shows his hand. We need to transmit the amount of each bet/raise. A 32 bit integer would probably be used here, so we have a massive 32 bits for each bet.

Upload, the client needs to transmit each action: fold, check, bet, call, raise. 5 possibilites. We need a whole 3 bits per action here. Of course, it would be easier to program just using an integer to represent all the actions and cards, means 32 bits for each card, action, or bet value transmitted. Even so, It really takes very little data transfer to run a poker game. A web page with lots of images and several pages of text takes a lot more bandwidth than a hand (or a whole round) of poker. Of course, since Party's software was written in India, they probably just transmit the whole table as a graphic every time something happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree completely that the poker game takes up almost no bandwidth, You gotta add some for encryption. You can't just have a 1 bit message. It's probably encrypted using some 128 bit encryption method. It's late, i'm tired, i'm more then likely just talking out of my ass. I haven't had networking in a semester, i forget a little about encryption.

Try explaining to your campus admin that computer games aren't the reason the campus is running out of bandwidth...they take up 2-5k per second. IT's filesharing you bone heads!

SLCKid
02-19-2004, 06:20 AM
This is great! I was just about to start my own threat about party's service. Good to know I'm not alone! They should get people who understand english to answer my goddamned emails. I'm already pissed and I haven't even made a deposit yet!!

AviD
02-19-2004, 09:01 AM
I'm running WinXP Pro on an Athlon 2700+ (2.16 gHz), 1GB Corsair RAM, and Comcast cable. Software is fine outside of missing buttons, which translates to lost money in hands...and happens enough to shift my profits somewhat significantly. Funny how it seems to happen just about every time I have a monster hand...I go to raise and suddenly the buttons are gone.

Bleh!

Anyway, not sure what the common denominator is here...but I play alot of FPS games that are a heck of alot more demanding than PartyPoker...so I know my system is well capable of handling their software. If I am experiencing these problems with Comcast (cable) and it is ISP or internet related, I would imagine dialup users don't even have buttons...EVER.

Well, keep us posted on any progress...just a matter of time before I cash out my entire bankroll on Party and take it elsewhere.