PDA

View Full Version : O8 Calling a raise in the BB

Gahnia radula
01-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Quick question

Is it ever correct to call a raise out of the BB with a Hi only hand?

Please be gentle im still learning this game

Gahnia radula

Buzz
01-29-2004, 10:13 AM
"Is it ever correct to call a raise out of the BB with a Hi only hand?"

Gahnia - Yes, certainly, in my humble opinion.

Everybody does not think the same. Different individuals have different ideas about when to raise. Some mainly consider their own cards. Othere take their position into consideration. Still others include an assessment of the affect of their raise on individual opponents. This is not a complete list. The point is different individuals have different requirements for raising.

Some individuals raise before the flop with hands I wouldn't generally play.

When you have a high only hand, the possibility of low ranges around two hands out of every three, depending on how many low cards you hold. For example, if you hold KKQQ, low will be possible about 69% of the time, while if you hold AAQQ, the possibility of low drops to about 65%. Thus for either KKQQ or AAQQ, figure that low will not be possible roughly one hand out of three. Even when low is possible, there is no guarantee your opponent's cards will qualify for low.

Thus hands with four high cards have good scoop potential when the flop is right.

I don't like high only hands that have danglers, like KQJ4. Would I call a raise from the blind with such a hand? I might, depending on who raised, especially early in the playing session.

Just my opinion.

Buzz