PDA

View Full Version : A semibluff?

Nate tha' Great
01-29-2004, 04:17 AM
I re-read the HEFAP chapter on semibluffing and realized that I might not be identifying enough situations in which I can bet for positive EV.

My opponents here are okay, maybe a little loose.

Party Poker 5/10 (6 handed)
NateThaGreat has A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif and is Button

CO limps, NateThaGreat limps, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(4 SB): J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, NateThaGreat bets, SB folds, BB calls, CO folds

Turn(3 BB): 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, NateThaGreat bets, BB calls

River(5 BB): J/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, NateThaGreat bets

----

Too thin?

Bob T.
01-29-2004, 05:53 AM
First, when the cutoff open limps, don't you think you have a much better hand than he does? Don't you want to play it headsup with him? I would pop it here without a second thought.

Ok, after that, I don't know if you were value betting, bluffing, or falling into a trap. Once you start betting, I think you have reason to bet on every street, and see how it comes out. I don't think this falls under the category of semibluff, your chances of improving, if you weren't already ahead on the flop are fairly thin, but at the same time, you could very well be ahead.

rigoletto
01-29-2004, 06:47 AM
Like Bob says: raise preflop!

I wouldn't call this bluffing, you where likely valuebetting the best hand all the way!

themul56
01-29-2004, 09:15 AM
I would have to agree. This seems more like a bluff than a semi-bluff, but you might be ahead so I guess you could be possibly value betting. And a definate raise pre-flop. Punish the weak limp and try to get heads up.

tripdad
01-29-2004, 11:15 AM
i would definitely have raised preflop, but since you didn't, your betting out is a losing bet, in my opinion. he has you beat w/ a small pair, or better kicker.

this is a bluff, not a semi-bluff. he called because he could beat a bluff.

cheers!