PDA

View Full Version : Question about the mini-raise

kingstalker
01-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Pokerstars 3+0
I have /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gifJ on the button
blinds 100/200 two limpers
Flop is
/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif3
BB checks,MP raises to 200, I re raise to 600,BB calls, and now MP moves all in, I folded, he shows A-Q
I see a lot of players doing the mini raises in the tournments I play in and I am wondering if this is a case where I should of just did a mini raise to feel him out, what kind of a situations should you want to do mini raises in?

Al_Capone_Junior
01-29-2004, 02:02 AM
As a general rule, the mini raise is for chickens with no balls and no understanding of poker, particularly preflop, where I despize the whole mini-raise thing. It's generally a pointless waste of chips that accomplishes nothing preflop.

Anytime you mini-raise, you are saying "PLEASE CALL ME." So ONLY WHEN YOU WANT TO BE CALLED SHOULD YOU MAKE THE MINI RAISE. Even when you DO want to be called, you should often STILL bet more than the minimum, because you'll often get it. If you want to thin the field, obviously you should raise more than the minimum.

This doesn't always apply to situations where someone has made a fairly large bet, and you raise them. Sometimes the minimum raise here is more than enough to do the trick, perhaps putting one of you all-in.

al

kingstalker
01-29-2004, 02:11 AM
I was watching "P0ker H0" on UB and I noticed he would do mini raises from early postions with HAnds like A-A and Q-Q, Poker ho won UB Sundays 200+15 event and seems to win a a event every time I log onto UB.

Al_Capone_Junior
01-29-2004, 02:19 AM
there's always examples of people playing like schmucks and winning. that dont make it right.

al