PDA

View Full Version : Was this a correct slowplay?

11-08-2001, 02:34 PM
7 handed somewhat tight 2-4 game. All fold to the cut off who limps SB (loose player) calls and I see a free flop out of the big blind with K 8o. Flop comes KK8 rainbow. SB checks and I check cutoff bets sb and i both call. I check/call because I want to make as much out of this hand as possible and I think I have all the good cards. Also there are few cards that can give my opponents a better hand maybe AA spiking an ace or 88 picking up quads or a bigger king filling up.

Turn is a 7, sb checks and I bet out not wanting to miss out if the cutoff checks. Cutoff folds, sb checkraises and I 3 bet. River is a 2, sb bets out i raise and show down the nuts against the sb's K 5(flopping a boat out of the blinds always makes me feel like such a good player;))

Thinking about the hand afterwards I began to question my flop check/call, there was no way the sb was going anywhere and I could have kept the cutoff in for another bet. However, representing strength on the flop might have prevented me from getting three bets out of the sb on the turn. I wonder if this was a rare case of a correct slow play or did i give a few small bets away or did it really matter either way?

thanks

brendan

11-08-2001, 02:43 PM
First I wouldn't worry too much about someone making quad 8's when you have an 8 in your hand.

I like how you played the hand. On the flop, cutoff is almost obligated to bet after wrecking the chop. That having failed, he's probably going to give up on the turn unless he actually has a hand.

A bit odd that SB would call your 3-bet on the turn and then bet into you on the river. SB overplayed his hand rather much.

Overall, probably played ok. Its hard to say if you could have gotten more by raising the flop but I doubt it. I would have bet out on the flop myself both to start building a pot and for deception.

Probably then the hand would have gone:

(

Flop: sb check me bet co call sb call

Turn: sb check me bet co call sb raise me reraise co fold sb cap me call

River: sb bet me raise sb call

or similar.

Coinsider leading right out on flops like that. Instill fear in your opponents that when you bet, you might just have an absolute crusher. Then 3 hands later, bet your gutshot draw and see how many people call! (:

11-08-2001, 04:26 PM
I am normally not a big fan of slowplaying but I think the conditions are perfect in this situation. You have a hand that is virtually invulnerable. The pot is small. Giving a free card cannot cost you much in this situation and it is worth slow playing your monster to finagle some extra bets downstream where prices double. Well-played.

11-08-2001, 06:17 PM
88 for quads? I gotta needle you for that one. If someone turns over 88, then ask for a deck change!

You analyzed the situation well and picked a perfect spot for a slowplay. There aren't many situations worth slowplaying in Hold'em. I don't even slowplay top-set.

Well played throughout the hand.