PDA

View Full Version : What's an LAG to do?

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-28-2004, 04:29 PM
I figured I'd post this hand. Maybe it'll create some action tonight.

$20 + 2 2-table SNG at 'Stars last night. We're down to 12. Blinds are 75/150 and I'm 3 off the button with 1815 (puts me about 8/12) when I get J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Folded to me. The table has played very tight the last 2 levels. Raises have been taking down the blinds regularly. I've been fairly quiet, so I decide to grab the blinds and make it 525 to go. The button calls. Blinds fold.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif pot = 1275

What would you do? What did I do? Am I just trying to get in your heads for tonight?

Results later. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DrPhysic
01-28-2004, 04:54 PM
I think you should try for the runner runner flush, or the runner runner straight, or the really runner straight flush.

Especially if I'm the one with the ducks in the small blind.

Doc

CrisBrown
01-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Hiya Kurn,

First, this would make you a LAP (Loose-Aggressive Player), rather than a LAG (Loose-Aggressive Game), but that's okay, because we all know Klingons have trouble with Earth acronyms. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Second, I might've raised here myself, with only six at the table. It's not that awful a steal-raising hand. So if you're crazy, then we're both crazy.... (My voices said to tell you that.)

Third, I think I check here, and fold to any sizeable bet, as there are very few calling hands that don't have you beaten on this flop.

Cris

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Well as a preface, because this was not a long thought process when it happened, the default range of hands I think of when an opponent cold calls a pot-size preflop raise is TT-55, AQ, KQ, KJs, KTs, QJs, JTs. Sure there are others you could add, but you have to start somewhere.

OK, my opponent has me covered by about 200. Now when I see the paired flop, even though it missed me, I think it's reasonable that he does not have a 7, and although every hand in the range I listed is ahead of me, with most of those he's going to need to have some pretty big stones to call off 80% of his chips against a preflop raiser who attacks a K-pair flop.

Sure, he could have AK or A7, but if he does, that's life.

I push in. He hesitates. He's given his 15 second warning. Nothing. He asks for time (I start looking at the list for the next $20 SNG /images/graemlins/tongue.gif). He runs his clock down to 20 seconds and folds.

DougBrennan
01-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Hey, it's better than your 95s in a previous post. And should we look for this sort of play tonight? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bozeman
01-28-2004, 06:27 PM
I like your play. Doing otherwise would require a different read on the player (or, of course, a differently sized stack).

Craig

Hotrod0823
01-28-2004, 09:21 PM
I like it. I can't say I would've done it but I like it.

Thinking about it, by pushing you are really saying to the caller I have a King and probably more specifically I am not afraid of my kicker.

I don't think the caller can put you on a 7 given your preflop raise and I don't think they can be happy calling your allin with any of the hands you have listed as possible preflop calling hands. The only exceptions are the obvious you mentioned AK, and A7s.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-29-2004, 07:14 AM
If my stack is double what it was, I probably check-fold in a SNG.

The Dude
01-29-2004, 08:18 AM
I like this play a lot, and here's why. In one-table tournaments, I like to bet very strong on the flop a lot. I do it in good bluffing spots where the flop is very likely to have missed my caller(s), AND when I have a very strong hand. Only when it's down to just two of us do I like to slowplay very much. By being very aggressive with good hands, you can steal a LOT of pots like this.

Your play is fine as long as you are willing to make the exact same play when you have AK or another strong hand.