PDA

View Full Version : Two tens

Guy McSucker
01-28-2004, 03:20 PM
I took a decent hand and manufactured an ugly situation for myself here. Let's see what you think.

Two table sit and go on Stars, $20+2. It's the second round (blinds 15-30), 16 players left, I have about 1500, and two tens in the BB.

UTG opens for 60. He has the same amount of chips as I do. This is the first time I've seen him make any kind of move.

Three players call behind. I am unsure what to do here: reraise on made hand value, or call looking for a set.

What's your play?

I raised 330 more. UTG min-reraised me. Ouch.

So I'm getting about 4-1 on the call. I have about 1100 left, plenty enough to play on with. He must have AK or an overpair I suppose. You can never quite be sure, but that's what I think...

What's my move?

I (stupidly?) called and saw a QJT flop. So I am buried by QQ and JJ, need to pair the board against AK, and have AA and KK locked up. My stack is 800ish, pot 1600ish.

What now?

Also, how would you play that flop if you'd just called preflop?

Guy.

CrisBrown
01-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Hiya Guy,

It's awfully difficult, and probably a mistake, to get off a set in this situation. The only hands you're really dead to are QQ and JJ, and if he has those, well, you just have to pay him off. You're roughly a 2:1 underdog to AK or K9 (depending on the suits involved), and you'd get at least 3:1 pot odds if you move in and are called. You're ahead of any other hand, and you'd like to make 'em pay to run you down.

I'd push in.

Cris

Stagemusic
01-28-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I am buried by QQ and JJ, need to pair the board against AK, and have AA and KK locked up. My stack is 800ish, pot 1600ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough situation Batman...although I do have a question when you say you have AA and KK locked up???

The good news is you got the set you were looking for. The bad news is you are into the pot for 1/2 your stack already. With the blinds where they are you do have the option to check/fold here and still be in the game although slightly crippled and having to battle back. I keep thinking though that this is a $20 SNG and the person could be betting on literally anything against your made set. I think given the circumstances I would raise him all in. Although I am still considering a check/fold on a strong bet.

I know that this is probably the exact opposite of what you should do. I am just going on what MY gut reaction would be.

Stagemusic
01-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Saw your post right after mine posted...nice to know that I wasn't too far wrong. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NotMitch
01-28-2004, 03:43 PM
I think I push in and kick myself for raising prelop. If you get get called on your preflop raise you get to play a tricky hand out of position against someone having shown strength, not good. But anyway I think he has AA or maybe KK and you are ahead, but I suggest catching a 10 to be safe.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-28-2004, 03:47 PM
His play screams AA. I'd push in.

ohkanada
01-28-2004, 03:55 PM
I would normally just call pre-flop. I would more than likely raise if there were no PF raises. I tend to respect UTG raises a bit more than other positions.

All-in on the flop with your remaining chips. Hope he has AA or KK. If he has AK so be it, but most players overbet with it.

Ken Poklitar

kerssens
01-28-2004, 04:09 PM
If I had just called preflop I'd lead out and make a pot sized bet to see where your opponents are. If you just get a call from the UTG than I'd watch for the AK milking you with the nuts (depending on the suits of the flop). If you get raised I'd push thinking that you were up against AA or KK....and if you were up against QQ or JJ just say nh and get ready for the next tourney

Guy McSucker
01-28-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I do have a question when you say you have AA and KK locked up???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, locked up is, err, a bit strong. I realised straight after posting that of course they can make straights. So KK has ten outs, and AA has 6. I have redraws against their straights, too, so I'm 4:1 over AA and 2:1 over KK.

Guy.

Guy McSucker
01-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks to all who replied. I played it terribly, I think. Ah well.

On the flop, I decided to check-call his inevitable all-in bet. So I checked and he bet half his stack. Good lord. No idea what that means so I push in and he of course calls with AK. No board pair and that's that.

I have a couple more questions:

- suppose I just call preflop and see the QJT flop. What's my plan?

- after I raised and he min-reraised, it does look like he has AA. Should I fold here?

Thanks again,

Guy.

Brian
02-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Hi Guy,

I think I would just call the pre-Flop raise. Early in tournaments, I prefer to trap than put all my chips at risk.

-Brian