PDA

View Full Version : Donating or collecting?

rigoletto
01-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Party Poker 5/10 (6 handed)
Rigoletto has 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is UTG

Rigoletto limps, CO(poster) checks, Button raises, SB calls, BB calls, Rigoletto calls, CO(poster) calls

Flop(10 SB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB bets, Rigoletto calls, CO folds, Button raises, SB calls, BB calls, Rigoletto calls

Turn(9 BB): J/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Rigoletto checks, Button bets, SB calls, BB calls, Rigoletto calls

River(13 BB): 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Rigoletto checks, Button bets, SB calls, BB calls, Rigoletto raises, Button 3-bets, SB calls(all-in), BB calls, Rigoletto calls

Justaloser
01-28-2004, 03:18 PM
I think you split the pot w/ the button, who had AK/AQ.

Bob T.
01-28-2004, 03:31 PM
I suspect that you split this pot, so you were probably collecting.

I think that you may have well been donating when you called the flop bet. The pot is fairly large for a 6 handed pot, nearly a family pot for two bets, but when the small blind bets into you, and you have three cards in the playing zone and a preflop raiser left to act behind you, It think that you don't have enough of this flop to continue. You really didn't want to spend two bets to see the turn card, which wasn't really that pretty, and the SB could have reraised after the buttons raise, and I think you couldn't have continued then.

el_grande
01-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Why are you afraid to raise the turn, but not the river?

Seems your choices are 1) raise the turn or 2) call the turn and call the river.

rigoletto
01-28-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suspect that you split this pot, so you were probably collecting.

I think that you may have well been donating when you called the flop bet. The pot is fairly large for a 6 handed pot, nearly a family pot for two bets, but when the small blind bets into you, and you have three cards in the playing zone and a preflop raiser left to act behind you, It think that you don't have enough of this flop to continue. You really didn't want to spend two bets to see the turn card, which wasn't really that pretty, and the SB could have reraised after the buttons raise, and I think you couldn't have continued then.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right about the flop considering I'm drawing to a split a lot of the time. The opposition was just so terrible at this table that I had a hard time letting it go.

rigoletto
01-28-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you afraid to raise the turn, but not the river?

Seems your choices are 1) raise the turn or 2) call the turn and call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I'd hate to be 3-bet on the turn here since I pretty much have to call. I'd also rather not fold the guys in between now since I know that they'll call a river bet.

2) I think the river is an auto checkraise here. It's 90% certain that the flush is not out there and I hope one or two none A hands will will call.

themul56
01-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I don't like your pre-flop and flop play here. Especially the flop since you are playing to split. After you hit your straight I would definately raise here to see if anyone has the flush. If you get 3-bet then you can fold if you want, but I would call and check call the river. When the Button 3-bets, you have no idea what he has and basically are praying for a split.

rigoletto
01-28-2004, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your pre-flop and flop play here. Especially the flop since you are playing to split. After you hit your straight I would definately raise here to see if anyone has the flush. If you get 3-bet then you can fold if you want, but I would call and check call the river. When the Button 3-bets, you have no idea what he has and basically are praying for a split.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the way people pay you off when you hit at Party 5/10 6-max. (and particularly at this table) this is an auto limp (and occassional raise) preflop.

I agree that my flop play was dubious at best.

Raising the turn for information is ridiculous when you're last to act. A turn raise could be prudent to make the lone spades pay for their draw. In this situation I figured they where likely drawing dead and might fold to a raise (particularly if button 3-bet) but would put in more bets on the river.

I (and anybody with some hand reading skills) knows what the button has or at least knows that he's very unlikely to have the flush.

Aaron Lovi
01-29-2004, 02:19 AM
Why do you think the button can't have the flush? This is how he would have played AsKs...I'd figure the BB for something like JT here, and can't let go on the river?

And I'd figure the button for either the nut flush or the something like AK, AQ, or AJ for the split.

So I'd guess you have a slim value check-raise with the BB in between, but not if you were heads-up with the button.

rigoletto
01-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Why do you think the button can't have the flush? This is how he would have played AsKs...

Well, there is a small chance but you pick the only hand out of about 20 where he would have the flush. I also think it likely that he would have popped the turn and not the flop AKs.

Mike
01-29-2004, 04:04 PM
According to my thinking, you were playing about even money until you made your straight, then you started collecting.

This being the case, raising the turn is not always a good idea because you will lose once in a while to the flush. So you want some buffer money from all players in the hand - for lack of better wording.

Curious, was button a, 'no one else will bet so I will' player?