PDA

View Full Version : Comsumer Privacy

kg99
01-28-2004, 01:44 PM
My car was stolen, and the car insurance company wants to ask me personal financial information and record it on tape. They said it takes one hour to do the recording. I was wondering if this is a normal process and it seems like I have to give up a lot of private information in order for them to pay out the claim. This kinda pisses me off. Anyone had experience with this type of situation? Thanks.

Easy E
01-28-2004, 01:46 PM
It doesn't sound very good to me- I know I'D be protesting.

Maybe they think you're filing a false claim?

adios
01-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Never had my car stolen but this sounds awful screwy to me. Who's your insurance company?

M.B.E.
02-03-2004, 03:14 AM
Ask them why they need the information and what they are going to do with it. If they give you a vague answer, ask them to be more specific. Don't refuse, but don't agree to it either until you find out whether they are within their rights. Your state or province may have legislation covering this situation, either specific regulatory requirements for the insurance industry, or general legislation on protection of personal information. You may be able to find out about this on the internet site of your state's Attorney General, or try phoning them. Alternatively you could consult a lawyer with experience in insurance claims for some basic legal advice.