PDA

View Full Version : Scary turn...

11-03-2001, 07:16 AM
Online 3-6 5 handed game. The game is pretty aggressive, especially me and another loose aggressive player has gone to war a couple of times.

LAG open raises UTG, next guy folds, I'm on the button with J-T of hearts. It's a bit questionable but I cold call him. Weak player in SB calls, solid player in BB calls.

Flop: Kc Qc 9s

Monster flop, although I'm a bit vulnerable. However, I'm counting on LAG to help me charge any draws. It's checked to LAG who bets, I raise. SB cold calls. Solid now check-reraises, this spells big trouble to me. Either he has JT like me, top two or a set. LAG calls and I cap it, SB calls all-in.

Turn: Kd Board: Kd Kc Qc 9s

Just about the worst card that could have come. Solid bets, LAG folds, and I grit my teeth and call.

River: 5c, Board: Kd Kc Qc 9s 5c

Another terrible card. Solid again bets. I don't like this. I don't like it at all. But the pot is just way to big for me to fold at this point so I cry and call.

All comments appreciated. The pre-flop call is questionable IMO. The turn and river calls are also questionable since there was a very good chance that I would only get half the pot even if my hand was good.

Sincerely, Andreas

11-03-2001, 08:45 AM
He had JTo and we chopped it.

Sincerely, Andreas

11-03-2001, 02:59 PM
I think you're dead. Get out on the turn or call the whole way.

A solid player in this spot might have check-raised w/ AK or such, except it was already raised...I've got to believe he has KQ or a set...at best you split the pot. If you believe you are beat, fold.

On the other hand, I am almost never so confident in my own abilities that I would fold the nut straight in your situation. It is 5 person after all.

Mojay

11-03-2001, 05:03 PM
Raises from LAG's do not usually mean much. My theory is they sit in games at a lower limit than they should so they can be aggressive attempt to bully the table. In a game with seasoned players imo, the LAG is either forced to slow down, or they go home broke. Playing shorthanded with a LAG can be very detrimental to your bankroll, and it can happen quickly. Unfortunately, all the things that hurt a LAG in full games, help them in shorthanded games. You may wish to check out Dr. Alan Schoonmaker's book, here on 2+2. It helped me understand what's going on with different players.

Play seems okay to me. You can't let a LAG push you around, and you were pretty safe preflop. Remember, if the board only looks good to you, who will be your customers? One thing to keep in mind is: The scariest boards bring home the biggest pots! Just know what's the nuts and where your hand is in relation to the nuts.

11-04-2001, 05:00 PM
[A] Lets play this one again, but this time after raising on the flop you flat call the 3-bet.

[1] You get a scary turn card. Now you can call down reasonably confidently since you didn't show that much strength earlier.

[2] You get a benign turn card. Now you can raise getting a double bet in on the expensive round when you are even a bigger favorite than you were on the flop.

[b] You are in the blind this time. It would be much more difficult to call the flop 3-bet figuring to check and see what developes on the turn.

Notice that you are using your position to good advantage when you do NOT 4-bet the flop.

- Louie