PDA

View Full Version : Runnig bad...even when you are winning...

MrGrob
01-28-2004, 03:59 AM
These last few months have been horrific, but I have to ask. Do you guys believe that you can also be running bad, even if you are winning? Example...Empire Poker...QQ...flop comes with a Q! YES!!! Turn...WTF...completes the flush AND the straight...NOT AGAIN!!! Someone bets, and you just call...with just about everyone else. River is nothing. Same player bets. You call only because it is a Party site, and you hand is good. Dude has two pair. Ok...so the dang board, and someone getting scared with me on the turn, costs me multi bets, as no one has anything, but the board is way to dangerous with that many people in to re-pop it. So, great, I won, but AGAIN, as it has been all month, it is smaller then it would have been had the board been anything else. No couple that with multi suck outs etc, and you have two losing months in a row. And, had pushed, someone would have completed their runner runner etc.

Am I playing bad, or too safe? Or is this just what running bad is...even when you are winning, it is just flat dangerous as heck and you can't push as hard as when you are not... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ramjam
01-28-2004, 06:47 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
So, great, I won, but AGAIN, as it has been all month, it is smaller then it would have been had the board been anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose bad luck might include winning less with strong hands than one might otherwise expect to win. I can't say whether you played this particular hand well or badly - but I would say that when I hit a bad run my tendency is not to go on tilt in the conventional sense but to become more tight-passive (which I try to counteract by being more aggresive than I "feel" I should be when I hit a decent hand). I'd also point out that you seem to have made a profit with your QQ of at least 3BB. I think this is better than the long run average return for that holding in a limit game.

MicroBob
01-28-2004, 07:17 AM
sort of reminds me of some of the players i deal blackjack to.
they've lost a few hands and scale-down their bet from $25 to $10 or something....and then get mad when i deal them a blackjack (that pays 3:2 for those that don't know). they only get a $15 win when they SHOULD have gotten $37.50.

hey, if you're going to be mad when you win then don't play in the first place.

also, i think it may be a natural human tendency to forget when just the opposite happens.
fortunately for you and for this topic, this is not the case for me personally....
i remember recently getting AA in the BB with 4 or 5 limpers (hooray)...maybe they were all in for 2 bets, cant remember. .
anyway, the flop comes AA2.
after my brief heart-jump of excitement i think "holy crap...i'm not going to win anything out of this hand. "

well, somehow i am able to pick up a few bets on the flop, turn AND river (not really anything i did) and took down a MUCH bigger pot then I ever should have been able to on a flop of AA2 (hey, maybe someone had 34 or 22 or something).
not the hugest pot in the world.....but a lot of times you are fairly certain that you'll be lucking out to get ANY extra bets for your monster.

anyway, i remember being rather thankful that my quads on a flop of AA2 took down a much bigger pot then they ever should have.

i should have the hand in my p-tracker i suspect. might have to dig that one up.

and i don't think there's really anything you can do when the board gives someone else a chance. if the turn brings a flush-draw then it can always grab a 4th of that suit on the river at which point your trips are screwed. if your opponents are showing any strength then ou probably need to proceed cautiously.

find the actual hand in question and post it in the SS forum for review.