PDA

View Full Version : Play Strong or Go Home

MHoydilla
01-28-2004, 02:55 AM
Heres a 5-10 hand from stars ealier tonight. It may seem like a simple to hand to some but I do know there are others who would have missed some bets (including myself before 2+2) I get dealt 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the small blind and call after the button limps, and the BB checks. Flop comes A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif I check, BB bets, then the button raises, I three bet and BB folds as the button caps. Now the button seems to know what hes doing, atleast I havent seen him ever limp with a big pair, if he does anything poorly its being to agressive Turn comes 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif {A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif} and I bet out and get raised by the button, I think for maybe a second and 3 bet and the button calls the 3 bet. Now the river 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif {7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif} Now heres the tricky part the button would 3 bet the flop with a set or 2 pair. Aces seem unlikely to imposible because I know he 4 bets the turn and Im pretty sure he 4bets with bottom set here as well so that leaves him with exactly A2. So I check he bets and I raise he pauses and then calls. Anyone think I played to aggressive?

Clarkmeister
01-28-2004, 03:03 AM
1. Raise preflop.

2. Almost no one can resist raising the river there once they fill up, and that allows you to 3-bet. I think you cost yourself a bet by checkraising the river.

James282
01-28-2004, 03:09 AM
uh huh, bet the river. when someone's hand improves this much he will raise or bet almost out of instinct. especially online, he will forget what he "put you on" and raise it up, now you can 3 bet an let him realize his mistake.
-James

MHoydilla
01-28-2004, 03:22 AM
Really raise pre from SB, I like the sound of that. Actually i think I like betting out on the river as well. Maybe I was just happy with the number of bets I won on the hand, but I could have won more. I guess I need to go home, luckly Im already there.....

James282
01-28-2004, 03:36 AM
well you aren't raising for value preflop i hope you realize

Garland
01-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi Mike,

Button made a mistake by not raising on the button. If he's going to bring it in on the button, it's almost always worth bringing it in for a raise.

You should also raise the small blind and try to get it heads up as 66 would much rather see heads up action than 3-way.

I suspect that he probably overplayed the turn. Your analysis is correct. He has A2 and should have suspected you to have at least 2 pair (A6 or A2) earlier. He should even be concerned about a possible set at this point even though you didn't raise.

Nice checkraise on the river by the way. Good trap job. I saw you do that when you hit your quad 3 at the turn at Binion's and it was pretty impressive (other guy had an overpair 99 BTW). I'm trying to work a checkraise after being the aggressor on the flop or turn into my repertoire.

How are things going anyway? I don't know anything about Binion's since they closed down. What's going on now?

Garland

Gabe
01-28-2004, 03:44 AM
I agree. Right read. Wrong move.

biggambler
01-30-2004, 08:28 PM

JayKon
01-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Because, bringing it in on the button w/ A2o, you probably have the best hand and are looking to steal the blinds. If called, you have a good chance to win anyway.

Besides, if the opener had raised, he wuld have probably lost less as he would have been able to put the SB on the set.

Clarkmeister
01-31-2004, 12:30 AM
With 66 in the SB against the BB and a single limper, you should nearly always raise, unless the BB is uber loose. And if the BB is uber loose, why is he on your left?

Reasons:

1. Dead money in the pot.
2. Headsup with a hand that really is much much better headsup than 3 way.
3. Easier to play postflop.
4. Makes your overall play more difficult for them to read. That is, most players won't notice the situation you just raised your 66 in, they'll just notice that you are raising "crap like 66". This'll help get you action on your real hands, and at no cost to your EV.