PDA

View Full Version : Best way to proceed?

Azhrarn
01-28-2004, 02:44 AM
Party 5/10 6-max. More passive than average table. No one involved in this hand has made much of an impression on me one way or the other. I'm on the BB w/pocket 6's. A new arrival posts UTG and checks, MP limps, CO limps, button and SB fold, I check.

Flop comes T 6 3 rainbow. I bet out, UTG and MP call, CO raises. What's the best way to proceed on this very raggedy board?

Henke
01-28-2004, 04:38 AM
I think smooth-calling and betting again on the turn should work here. That way you will get at least 1 small bet from each of the two opponents, and then hopefully they'll donate 1 big bet each on the turn. When CO then raises the turn, you drive them out by 3-betting.

The other alternatives would be 3-bet the flop or c/r the turn. A flop 3-bet would probably drive out UTG and MP, which isn't really necesary when we have a set. It might slow CO down too, so that you cannot charge him a turn 3-bet. Checkraising the turn will most probably get you heads up with CO, and gets no additional bets from UTG and MP (except the two small-bets on the flop).

eugeneel
01-28-2004, 03:31 PM
you should not be betting in to everyine with this kind of a monster on the flop.

2000Flushes
01-28-2004, 03:49 PM
betting into everyone is exactly what he should be doing. Betting that flop says nothing more than he has a OESD or pair.

Schneids
01-28-2004, 03:49 PM
I agree, I like the stop-and-go as the best way to proceed.

Schneids
01-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey Eugeneel, I've gotta disagree...

He's playing Party 5/10SH, not pokerroom 25/50. Betting the flop is not really much of a disaster when many players are going to call the flop with as little as one overcard. I would contend the flop play doesn't really matter one way or another, and to simply go whichever route you didn't go the last time this type of hand came up.

EDIT: I'm guessing your opposition's crime is typically betting too often, so, checking the flop would be right in your game. Party 5/10SH player's call (and raise with little) too much though.

Azhrarn
01-29-2004, 02:37 AM
I decided to just call the CO raise, for reasons similar to ones other posters gave in this thread.

Turn was a Q. I bet out, UTG and MP folded, CO called.

River was a brick, I bet, he called, my set was obviously good. Turns out CO had JTo for top pair mediocre kicker.

I'm happy with the way I played it, although going for the turn checkraise might have been better in retrospect. The queen might have scared him off betting into three opponents though, I don't know.

glen
01-29-2004, 08:33 AM
"you should not be betting in to everyine with this kind of a monster on the flop."

Very true, if you hate money that is. . .