PDA

View Full Version : A Gentle Request

CrisBrown
01-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Hi All,

One of the things I most like about the (now multi-table) tournament forum was the general climate of civility and courtesy. While this forum is still young, it seems like we're setting a more confrontational tone here. I'm not pointing fingers, as I was guilty of it also in response to wannabe's post. And while spirited debate is a good thing, I believe insults -- to persons or the issues they raise -- diminish us and our capacity to learn from each other.

So may I gently request that we all (and I include myself) take an extra moment to read over what we've written, and ask ourselves if something we've said is harsher or more confrontational than it needs to be?

Thank you,

Cris

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-28-2004, 09:15 AM
While I believe that confrontation is a good thing and that speaking directly accomplishes more than beating around the bush (who ever heard of a Klingon diplomat?), I will agree that we can be provocative without resorting to ad hominem.

I will endeavor to be diplomatic. After all, I'm not good enough to be a jerk. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

However, when criticizing my play, don't pull any punches. Like Joe Frazier, I can take a few on the chin.

Bluff1
01-28-2004, 09:18 AM
I've noticed it since I've been here Kurn, son of Mogh and CrisBrown are trouble makers. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

juris
01-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Keep up that bad attitude and you'll be banned bluff! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-28-2004, 09:39 AM
A Klingon who doesn't start trouble is no Klingon. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

William
01-28-2004, 09:44 AM
What is a Klingon? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Stagemusic
01-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Cris,

Well said. Although I enjoy a spirited debate on issues, I tend to regard insulting or overly harsh comments as the actions of people who have difficulty in defending a position. As such I tend to lower my opinion of the poster and will generally disregard much of what they have to say in the future.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

My favorite invocation to type in when calling an all-in.

For you non-Klingon speakers, "Today is a good day to die"

William
01-28-2004, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

My favorite invocation to type in when calling an all-in.

For you non-Klingon speakers, "Today is a good day to die"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impressed /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Really, I am /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

majQa' (WELL DONE)

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-28-2004, 10:27 AM
I had an experience a few years back when I used Prodigy as my ISP. I was browsing through the chat rooms and found a Trek room and logged in as kurnsonofmogh. As soon as I arrived, one guy said "cool Trek name" and the next guy typed in about a 200 word paragraph entirely in Klingon. I realized right then I was out of my league and left the room.

Game selection, after all, is key. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DrPhysic
01-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Good for you Cris,

After all we have Zoo (internet forum) and News, Views, and Gossip forums for confrontations.

At Tourn Forum and hopefully this one, we decimate, massacre, chew up, spit out, and stomp one another's opinions in a very considerate, literate, and genteel manner.

Doc

triplc
01-28-2004, 10:50 AM
I agree with Cris here. Attack the problem not the person. If someone makes a post that you think is stupid, or someone's play was stupid then provide constructive criticism that will help that person keep from making further mistakes. Like Kurn, I don't want people to pull punches when I make a blatant mistake (and have the courage to post it here), but there is a fine line between directness and being downright insulting.

If I may be so bold, there have been two threads on this forum that illustrate this point. Kurn's and Cris's response to wannabe's line about bs cards, and SaltCrackas response to PrayingMantis in the "are the sets worth it" thread. Kurn and Cris's remarks could be seen as insulting, perhaps, but I felt they were made in the spirit of letting a new poster know he's not going to get away with too much loose talk here. I don't have that much of a problem with that. If I make a post that just seems downright stupid, call me on it. SaltCracka came out and called PrayingMantis stupid for even comtemplating the worth of sets. That's uncalled for. The thread turned out to be a popular one, and I think folks learned from it. There was no need to make a personal attack on Praying Mantis. And if you don't like the thread...pass it by.

Good post, Cris, you dumb ****. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LetsRock
01-28-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! This is an English only forum! Don't make me call the floor! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

PrayingMantis
01-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi Cris, triplc and all,

I think this one is going to be great forum. And what makes a great form are the posters, who are able to critisize, analyze, and be completely honest about each other's hands, tactics, strategy, bankroll-size, early play, late play, bubble play, tightness, looseness, aggressiveness, passiveness, bad-beats, good-beats, and any other concepts, traits, or thoughts regarding this game. As others said in this thread before, I'll feel very bad if any of you, for any reason, will NOT tell me I played this or that hand COMPLETELY wrong, if that's what you think (I probably DID play it wrong /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

However, there's a thick line between being highly critical, and being insolent. There are people who just can not tell between these two. I hope they'll find this forum too stupid, sh***y and dumb for their top-notch poker capabilities.

Remember, the best way to learn is the way you would teach your best friend (It's not me, it's Mary Jane Gill. Found it on the net /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Who is she, anyway? Probably never been to RGP)

PrayingMantis

ThaSaltCracka
01-28-2004, 08:36 PM
I like the post Cris, although I thought it was funny you said not to point fingers and then the next poster did just that. anyways.... if everyone thinks I am rude or what not because of what I said to PrayingMantis I will apologize right now, for the record I was mostly f*in' with him, I gave him my advice shortly after.

By what I see most people, myself included want a forum where we can discuss 1( or 2) table tourneys, and get good advice. This is probably where I will be spending most of my time because these tourneys are the ones I play mostly. So if you still don't like me or don't accept my apology, fu /images/graemlins/grin.gif

VinnyTheFish
01-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Good point. I felt my post was semi-confrontational, yet loving and inviting. I will be much nicer to people who blantently insult me and where & how I play.

But then again ... what about my hidden motto .... "F##k em all!"

CrisBrown
01-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Hiya Salt,

No worries ... I pointed a finger at myself, too. Thanks for the apology and no problem. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cris

DrPhysic
01-29-2004, 01:03 AM
and that's not confrontational?

What you meant was:

"F##k em all, unless they're 2+2ers and not at my table!"

Doc

triplc
01-29-2004, 12:48 PM
I was a teacher in a former life, and just about every education class that I took said that the best way to learn something is to teach it yourself...

I'm right there with you PrayingMantis...

CCC