PDA

View Full Version : Aces up blunder

kingstalker
01-28-2004, 02:14 AM
Pokerstars 3+0
blinds 400/800 I have 40,000 in chips
I am dealt /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 on the button,
I limp in, one other person in the pot
Flop is
/images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif2
MP(who has 42,000 in chips) raises to 800, which is the bare minimum raise, I call thinking my aces were good
Turn /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif5 now Im really like my aces
MP raises to 1600, I re raise to 5500, he now moves all in.
/images/graemlins/confused.gifI feel sick about it but I click the call button anyway, and he has A-J.I guess I should of saw that he trapped me, anybody esle laying down aces up here? Im thinking if I thought my aces were good on the flop I should of re raised him there and found out how strong he was before I got unlucky and caught a 5.

Eric P
01-28-2004, 04:10 AM
this is an easy fold on the turn, you played the flop bad too. you should have raise or folded right away, and then you can get away for a small amount like 3000. Anyways the blinds are miniture and your stack is huge, why are you going up against a big stack... just bad tournament play

If you can't fold an ace on the flop with A5 then why are you playing it? no offense but you blew a good opportunity this time. Even when he goes all-in what hands can you beat?

Stoneii
01-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Like you did here I all too often fall in love with reading my own hand and only after I hit the call button do I think "mmm - wonder what he was throwing his money in on"

Oh Ah generally is my answer as I'm looking at the best hand/nuts feeling like the learner I am!!

On this occasion even if you thought you were good to go, you had still only invested 7100 of your 40k stack (<18%) and had plenty of ammo to take on the smaller stacks. I'd have left him alone and moved to more agreeable pastures (he says in cold light of day - HOPEFULLY!)

Still must've made some great moves previous to reach the 40k stack so can't be all bad /images/graemlins/smile.gif

stoneii

juris
01-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Hold on.

The key to this play is knowledge of your opponent. If he had been going all in or agressively stealing blinds your call may be proper. I've seen some crazies push hard with less than top pair, and have regularly succeeded with their agression.

In most cases, once you have the A-5 and the turn comes, you have to make a decision given what you know about the player. A-K likely? Would he go all in with that? How has his play been?

I know the results, but I'm fairly weak tight and unless I felt really confident, I walk when he pushes all in. He has you covered, after all. Those 2 pair generally aren't going to be enough at this stage in a tournament.

My real question is, if you hated pushing the call button, there's probably a reason you hated it. So why did you talk yourself out of the fold? The answer to that question will determine much more whether you botched this one.