PDA

View Full Version : A-A vs possible trips

10-30-2001, 11:09 PM
Short handed 4-8 game at Bellagio. I am in the cutoff with A-A. Early position player raises. I re-raise and get heads up. Early position player seems knowledgeable and has raised with high pairs, and a-k while i have been in the game.

Flop come x-x-K. He checks. He has check raised trips once in the hour I have been playing. I bet. My reasoning: the game has just dropped to 6 handed from 9 handed. If my read as a knowledgeable player is right, he probably has loosened his rasing standards some and I still should have the best hand.

Turn is King. He checks. I check. My reasoning: I am not sure how much he would loosen up. I think that there is at least a fair chance that he holds at least one K in his hand. My plan is to call a bet on the river or check. Comments?

He bets the river and I call. He shows k-qs. Any other general comments?

10-30-2001, 11:53 PM
You played it perfectly, but your river thoughts need adjusting. If he checks the river, you should bet for value because he is probably not clever enough to try to checkraise you twice after missing a turn bet. But you played the hand as optimally as possible and got to the showdown cheaply in a vulnerable situation. Well done.

Jeff

10-31-2001, 12:23 PM
I would have bet the turn. The fact that you re-raised the pre-flop and then check on the turn was a sign of weakness and that you did not have him beat. If you bet, he could have folded thinking you may have AK or KK (a semi-bluff??). If he raises, fold. If he calls, he would probably check the river and you can either check yourself or bet if you think bluffing may work. I think your call on the river is questionable. JMHO.

10-31-2001, 01:28 PM
Why bet the turn? I want to show down my aces in this spot, and lose as little as possible if they are beaten. By checking the turn, you avoid being check-raised (which you'd have to lay down to) and may induce a bluff by a worse hand on the end. Either way, for the same $8 bet, you see a showdown and don't risk running into a checkraise bluff or missing a shot at snagging an ace. JMHO.

Jeff

10-31-2001, 02:26 PM
IMO, betting the turn is correct. Just like what I said, checking the turn after his re-raise before the flop is a sign of weakness. Granting you know you're behind on the turn, you are the one going for a semi-bluff and if he raises, you can fold with a clearer conscience. The fact that John checked on the turn, his opponent KNEW he's ahead and bet.

Any other opinions out there from the experts, please?

10-31-2001, 02:41 PM
I am FAR from an expert but here is my $.02

This is a routine situation where you are either way ahead or way behind. Either you are drawing to a 2 outer, or your opponent is drawing to (at best) a 2 outer. Checking the turn then calling the river or betting the river if checked to is automatic.

You lose little by checking. When behind you get a free chance to improve. When ahead, you can induce a bluff from a worse hand.

Many people I play against are capable of checkraising an underpair here, realizing that they could easily get me to lay down a better hand (AA, QQ) or lay down a hand that can outdraw them (AQs). If UTG has JJ, a checkraise is a very real possibility. Therefore I do not always feel that laying down my AA to a checkraise is so automatic. This adds to the case for checking the turn and calling the river.

Also consider that very few worse hands can call you on the turn, but many of them can attempt a bluff on the river.

Clark

10-31-2001, 05:56 PM
A check on the turn gives you a free care if your beaten, and may induce a bluff bet on the river. This is a low-limit game, there`s now way he`s going to lay that hand down to a big bet, or even 2 bets cold. Played well.

10-31-2001, 07:43 PM
Jpst putting my 2 cents opinion. Maybe I become too aggressive at times and should re-examine my strategy.

11-06-2001, 10:47 PM
With trip Kings, he's not going anywhere. I agree with the way he played the hand. I would of played it the same way. If you bet the turn, he will raise. I think many players would with trips. If the other player has A,K or K,K then that's too good, but I am willing to pay for it.

Billy

11-06-2001, 10:47 PM
With trip Kings, he's not going anywhere. I agree with the way he played the hand. I would of played it the same way. If you bet the turn, he will raise. I think many players would with trips. If the other player has A,K or K,K then that's too good, but I am willing to pay for it.

Billy