PDA

View Full Version : What to do pre-flop?

10-30-2001, 02:43 PM
I'm in a typical semi-loose 2/4 game.

1. Should I be calling with hands like ATo, KTo, QJo, JTo, A8s, 87s after only 1 or 2 limpers ahead of me?

2. Should I be raising with hands such as AJo, ATo, KQo, KJo, KTo, QJo if I am on the button or cutoff and there has only been one caller who has poor pre-flop calling standards?

3. HPFAP states that you can play hands like low to medium suited connectors if you can expect multiple callers. How many callers do I need to expect to have in order to play hands like these?

Thanks

10-30-2001, 05:57 PM
1. A. Depends--there are limpers, and then there are limpers.

B. If you DO call with marginal hands (like the ones you listed), you need the flop to hit you pretty hard. Otherwise you're spending too much money on an iffy proposition for a 1-2 return--money you could be spending on 1-3 or -4 or -5 returns.

2. I'd raise most of the time with the AJ, AT, KJ, KT, and then be careful--poor players hit big hands too, and you won't be looking for it. Probably wouldn't raise very often at all with the QJ, both because an A or K kills it and because you want your opponent in if you hit the straight.

3. Personally, I like at least 3, preferably 4 callers for a low-card draw.

Good luck.

10-31-2001, 02:23 AM
HPFAP does not really address low limit games like $2-$4. HPFAP was written for the middle limits of $10-$20 through $40-$80 as stated in the introduction.

In a low limit game like $2-$4, it has been my experience based on having played $3-$6, that there is very little preflop raising. When this is the case, it is probably okay to limp in behind others with the hands you outline in your first question. With regard to the second question, if you think you can isolate the weak limper then raising with AJ offsuit and AT offsuit is okay. I would not raise with the other hands. The reason is because in those cases where neither of you make a pair, your ace-high with a jack kicker or even a ten kicker will frequently get the cheese. However, king-high, queen-high, and jack-high do not rate to survive a showdown. With regard to your final question, the higher the suited connector, the fewer limpers you need. I think that with Q-J suited, J-T suited, and T-9 suited, you can limp behind even one limper. As the suited connector goes down in rank, the more limpers you need. I would want at least three limpers to play a hand like six-five suited. Keep in mind that you can expect the blinds to play also if the pot is unraised, which helps.

10-31-2001, 02:47 AM
I think in the question you are asking has more to do with those left to call than those who are all ready in the pot. I agree with riverdog, you don't want to face a raising situation as he descibed.

As for raising, you have to look both ways. Most LL players don't respect a raise (see Dynasty's AA post). If you raise with your hands in #2 and all fold except original caller and you do not hit the flop, how do you feel about your cards? Would you be willing to ram and jam? If you do will they drop out?

I would like to have four or five players and no raise for these cards. You should pair up about 1/2 the time you play them, but once you do, how strongly can you play them?

The same applies to suited connectors. The more callers, the better. If you flop a flush and it's not the nuts, I read you will win 2 of 3 hands at the river, so you need some buffer to outway your given losses. Same with flopping a straight with suited connectors, if it's not the nuts, your going to lose some hands with it. jmo