PDA

View Full Version : Rate my play... (sigh :o) )

10-30-2001, 12:43 PM
5-10 average passive game

im dealt 9d9h

a wild goose raise first in UTG + 1 and i called.

4 more callers includin both blinds... 60 in pot

Flop

3-7-8 of clubs

both blinds checks and wild goose bet..

I raise. the player next to act is a somewhat weak tight player (SWTP) but capable of sometimes makin a move

he reraise me

everybody fold and its up to me...

Whats my move????

I fold and SWTP told me he had 88...

I folded figurin there wasnt a hand i could beat.

He called a raise cold so i tought he must had an higher pocket pair than me or a made flush with big suited connector...

However, aftertought, maybe he had AK with a big club...

Is this possibility enough to justify callin?

Ty for help and sorry for my poor english!!!

Charlie

10-30-2001, 12:56 PM
Preflop I dont like your coldcall. If he's wild loose player you should 3-bet him here to isolate.

Your raise of the wild goose is a good play IMO. But when the weakish player behind you 3-bets you have to be worried.

I see a set more possible than a flush (or overpair; he would most likely 3-bet JJ-AA PF; so only TT possible), because a lot of players would wait till the turn with a big flush, a weak flush will 3-bet, but a tight player probably wouldnt call low suited cards after a EP raiser. So most likely 88 or 77 IMO (maybe AK, AQ with a club, but would a weak player 3-bet here?)

Summarizing I like your fold. But if you had the 9c you should have called IMO, since you were heads up with him, and therefore your flushdraw would most likely have been good.

Regards

10-30-2001, 01:35 PM
I think if you're going to play you have to re-raise and try to get it heads up. What are you going to do when the flop is 7-T-Q in a multiway pot? You know the maniac will bet the flop no matter what and you will probably have to fold with a couple of people left to act behind you. If you re-raise before the flop and get it heads up, your hand will probably hold up against your one opponent.

10-30-2001, 02:55 PM
My problem here by reraisin is that im quite sure that ill get 2 or 3 more caller and then ill have to play my pair in the worst of situation, i.e about 4 opponents.

i called hoping to flop a set in a large multiway pot..

i might be wrong but it was my thinkin!

Ty for your help

Charlie

10-31-2001, 08:02 AM
Personally, I would have been tempted to re-raise before the flop. I certainly would'nt feel bad about laying down the hand on the flop if my opponent were reasonable. You certainly don't give up too much if all he has is the ace of clubs and given the play of the hand. Most players won't make this raise with just the Ace. I would say that he probably did, indeed flop a set.

10-31-2001, 11:41 PM
I just read the post up to your decision after getting reraised on the flop. The issue is the likelihood that he can 3-bet with the nut flush draw or worse. Since it sounds like he can't, I'd call to prevent indelible memories of you folding a big pot to a third bet on the flop, then check-fold unless the turn is a nine. When a weak-tight player cold calls, the chance of it being a pair, two suited cards or AK is nearly 100%. If he's got a pair, you've got two outs vlunerable to a possible redraw. If he's suited, you almost certainly need a full house.

I wouldn't put much stock in his capability for "making a move." Weak-tight players get nervous with overpairs in situations like this and hate the prospect of embarrassing themselves by bluffing at a pot that's "obviously" too big to buy.