PDA

View Full Version : 5-10 hand

10-29-2001, 01:36 AM
Here is a 5-10 hand I played the other night in AC.

I was at the table less than 1 hour and don't know any of

the players.

2 early limpers, I raise in MP with KK. caller after me (CAM) and button (B) 3-bets, all fold to me and I cap it. CAM and B calls.

Was my 4-bet ok here?

Flop: KQQ. I check, CAM checks, B bets, call, call.

Should have I bet out here? check-raised?

Turn: Rag. I check, CAM checks, B bets, I raise, CAM folds, B calls.

Was check-raise correct here or should I have bet out?

River: Rag. I bet, B calls.

B turns over AA and I win.

Any comments on my play would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

10-29-2001, 03:28 AM
got lucky.....bighand.....shouldve bet and hope you get raised.

SK

10-29-2001, 01:13 PM
I think you have to lead out at the flop here. You 4 bet preflop which is going to narrow the hands they put you on significantly. Lead, get raised and reraise. Checkraising the turn screams pocket KK or QQ. No reason to get fancy here. You would lead with AKs wouldn't you? Play this the same way. I make more $ in low limits from betting the flop and getting raised than anything else I do.

As Tommy Angelo said in this forum once: "I bet with enough crap that I'll be damned if I won't bet it when I have the real deal."

10-29-2001, 01:43 PM
there was a scene in Rounders when the whole crew was playing at the Taj and Mike was commenting on the fish walking up to get slaughtered. He said they were typical, Betting strong when weak and betting weak when strong. Do you want to be typical?

Wouldn't it have been sweet to be against AQ and KQ? And if all three players played like you, they'd all check the flop and turn and then finally find a bet on the river and win 3 bb with their rare flop of a monster.

Think of it this way. If the flop missed your opps they're not putting any more money in anyway. So, you might as well figure it didn't miss them and make them pay to see how hard it hit you.

10-29-2001, 09:10 PM
You put in the last raise and then check the flop. You might as well just hold up a sign that says "I have the best hand!"

These slowplays are becoming so obvious now, I am surprised that the guy even bet the turn. He was certainly not trying very hard to put you on a hand.

Bet the flop. The only possible hands that would check call that flop after so much pre-flop action are winners. You would bet AK. You need to bet KK. Otherwise you are an open book.

KJS

10-30-2001, 10:54 AM
all is to be said - "atta boy", how the hell could you lose or

play it any different? You were even lucky to get any action

after the flop.

10-30-2001, 12:40 PM
I dont like the way you played it. You should bet out IMO, especially since button and CAM probably see it as an automatic bet after capping preflop. You check-call screams a big hand IMO. I also think check-raising is too strong of a play here. Betting here most likely gets you most and seems the weakest move (what you want).

You're check-raise on the turn makes it only further more clear that you have a very big hand, and I think any decent player would most likely have checked a mediocre to semi strong hand (like AA) behind you or didnt pay off the raise. Only if he also has a very strong hand you will get action, but you would also have gotten that action (and probably more) if you had bet the flop, because the way you played it should make your opponent very suspicious.

Regards

11-02-2001, 11:39 AM
Did you know anything about the button's play up till that point?

Even if I had KK and raised, if I was three betted, I would be very unsure of capping it unless I thought the button was an idiot who would three bet trash (of which there are plenty granted).

Absolutely brilliant flop though. I'd be hoping I made a mistake and that the button did have AA at this stage as you're guaranteed action, unless of course the button is extremely weak, in which case you shouldn't have capped the betting preflop.

Slowplaying a monster till the turn seems to be fairly common, depending on how loose the game is, I might bet though and hope for a reraise, then cold call and act as if I'm disgusted that someone has the queen. What would you do had you checked the flop and it was checked around with no bet? Would you have bet out on the turn hoping for some action or persist with the slowplay?

All in all, well played and its good to see KK get up over AA once in awhile (I'm always finding my KK dominated by AA). I would have played the hand identically apart from capping the betting preflop. Reason for this, as partly stated above, is if the button has AA, then the call is the correct move. If the button is an aggressive player who three bets AQo, then it gives you the perfect opportunity for slowplaying as your call shows weakness. But with flops like that one, hell you'll win money any way you play it.

yoyo