PDA

View Full Version : 15/30 $1200 pot...

Monkeyslacks
01-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Typical 15/30 online. New to the table, but UTG seems to be getting out of line and is calling and raising with suited crap.

I'm UTG+1 and get K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG raises, I smoothcall (I'm assuming vehement disagreement with this play), button 3-bets, both blinds call, UTG calls, I cap, all call. 5 to the flop for $60 american.

4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me, I bet, button raises, blinds call, UTG folds, I 3-bet, button caps, blinds call. I figure the button for aces or A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. 4 to the turn for $60 each.

K /images/graemlins/club.gif

Same action as the flop. 4 to the river for $120 each.

6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB bets into me. Raise or call? Results in white:

<font color="white"> I cry call. BB has Q J clubs and rakes the $1200 pot and I can't stop grinning.</font>

glen
01-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Call.

Monkeyslacks
01-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Ok, it's obvious I guess. I suppose I'm just crying about my bad beat. Biggest pot I've ever been a part of and a 85% favorite on the turn... Ah well. Sorry all.

eugeneel
01-27-2004, 07:06 PM
I would raise here every time

Ulysses
01-27-2004, 07:44 PM

Ulysses
01-27-2004, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not raise?

ActionBob
01-28-2004, 12:40 AM
I'm UTG+1 and get K K . UTG raises, I smoothcall (I'm assuming vehement disagreement with this play)

Yes, an easy assumption as its obviously a poor play.

-ActionBob

glen
01-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Because there's a whole bunch of ways he could have a flush and he bet out when the flush card came - straight draw and backed into a flush, a pair and a draw that backed into a flush. Remember, he limp capped here preflop. He built up the pot, and when that happens, people generally don't let go of any piece of the flop easily. . . then he bets out into a ginormous pot. . .

glen
01-28-2004, 12:45 AM

glen
01-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Why? You are going to be shown a flush here enough to make calling way better. Also, there are 2 other people in the pot who are probably going to overcall but might fold if faced with a raise. Why knock out the people you are definitely ahead of and face a probable 3 bet that you have to call?

Clarkmeister
01-28-2004, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why? You are going to be shown a flush here enough to make calling way better. Also, there are 2 other people in the pot who are probably going to overcall but might fold if faced with a raise. Why knock out the people you are definitely ahead of and face a probable 3 bet that you have to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

symphonic
01-28-2004, 02:34 AM
could someone explain to me the buttons play on the flop? if he has QJc why would he raise and cap here with only a backdoor 3rd nut flush draw?

glen
01-28-2004, 02:47 AM
the button didn't have QcJc, the big blind did. . . .

Ulysses
01-28-2004, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I guess. Maybe you'll see something like 9cTc enough of the time to make calling better. But I really thought that BB action felt like an "I'm just going to be tricky and call all the way with my little set and let these two guys cap it up around me" followed by an "Oh man, I better bet out since everyone will be scared of the flush card and I don't want to checkraise and get 3-bet if someone actually made a flush."

I think you're either going to see a set or a flush here. And most times I think people who are going to call one will call two in a pot this big. But you do have to call a 3-bet, there is that.

If there's an obvious straight draw on the flop (or even a big card that matches something like QJs) I'd be more inclined to just call because missing and backing into the flush draw becomes more likely. But the way it went down, even though you're probably right that calling is better, I think it's a pretty close decision.

lefty rosen
01-28-2004, 07:44 AM
What did you lose to? a backdoor flush or garbage straight? Also who drewout? Put him on your buddy list he will pay the 1200 back and some.

symphonic
01-28-2004, 02:48 PM
oops, read it wrong.

elysium
01-28-2004, 03:55 PM
hi monkey
call. heads up or 3 way, the BB will sometimes do a fake sudden reversal, but against this many it's highly doubtful.

it doesn't look good but call folding if it comes back 2 cold to you.

elysium
01-28-2004, 03:57 PM