PDA

View Full Version : 3-6 hand

10-28-2001, 10:00 PM
I was playing 3-6 holdem at the soaring eagle, Michigan. This was my first time setting foot in a card room. I had been sticking pretty well to my game plan and playing more conservitaly then I think was perfect strategy but since this was my first time I wanted to minimize the standard deviation to as little as possible to avoid big losses. as it turned out I was up about $30 when I was dealt this hand, it's not much but I have a question about how I played this:

my image was fairly solid with the people who were paying attention I belive, they had seen me check raise top two pair on the flop and all of a sudden started respecting my play, and the locals also starting talking to me as opposed to ignoring me like they had been for the last 2 hours, anyone know what that means? they were a couple of weakies in the game who had never played before and it was obvious by their mistakes, I had no image with them I think.

I was dealt QQ UTG and raised. a woman two seats to my left looked at me and cold called, all fold to button who also cold calls.

flop came 10c Kd 2s

I'm first to act and I bet to see where I stand. this is the first thing I'm questioning? was a check better?

the woman raises me and the button folds. I think for a sec and remembered my promise with myself to not get into the situations that would give me trouble, if she has a king I'm dead but she might be semi-bluffing with a ten. figuring it will cost me a lot to lose this hand I muck it, she later said she had K 10, but I can't be sure she told the truth.

10-28-2001, 10:05 PM
btw, i just saw another poster using keith as his name, no were not the same person, the above was my first post

10-28-2001, 10:59 PM
I give her credit for at least a king. If she is a logical player, she will realize that since you have been so solid, you can only be raising with the following hands: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, AQ. She beats QQ, JJ, AQ w/ just a king. So, she is not too likely to make a semi-bluff with a T, where she would be losing to just about everything except AQ, and that would give you a gut shot to a straight and 2 overcards to her T.

So, if she is thinking well, she is betting w/ a king to see where she stands and to get a free card on the turn. Unless she has KT, in which case she would probably bet the turn too.

Other thoughts: If she did have KTs, that is a marginal call to a solid preflop raise from early position. And I'm giving her a lot of credit to say she has thought this out so far in the second or two before she acted. So, this is where you have to be paying attention to how tight she is. If she plays straightforward, then you can give her credit for a K. If she is tricky, then you can't.

Mojay

10-29-2001, 05:38 PM
Easy raise pre-flop. And 3-way action is good for your hand. I would also bet on the flop because your hand is probably good. The chances of one of the other two players holding a king is not enough to be scared yet.

When she raises you, my response would depend on my impression of that player. If she is fairly weak-tight and straightforward, I think you can be pretty certain you are beat and a fold would be the right play.

If she is a tricky player who often raises for free cards or freerolls, then I would probably try a stop-and-go move on her. This is where I would just call her raise and bet into her on the turn. If she reraises, you are almost certainly facing a set or two-pair. If she just calls, I would check-call her on the river. She may have had something like QJ and you might induce a bluff out of her.

I think you played this hand fine. If you don't know this woman well enough to get a good impression of her playing style, then I think a fold is the best thing.