PDA

View Full Version : Rocky is betting

slavic
01-27-2004, 02:35 PM
20/40 B&M

Laggy EP limps in, loose to laggy MP overlimps, loose passive limps to my right[any two suited] and I overlimp with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif (it was an autopilot limp, I was reading a textbook at the time)

"old white guys who has been playing since 1957" raises on the button[Tight, passive much like a rock in recovery], Blinds fold, all call I put down the text book.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checks to OWG1957 who bets, folds to LP on my right who calls, and I opt just for a call.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checks to OWG1957 who bets, LP calls, I raise...

Monkeyslacks
01-27-2004, 06:19 PM
I like it. You're behind excactly AA, KK, AK, TT, 77 and a flopped flush. You're ahead of everything else. There is a lot of everything else...

SoBeDude
01-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Why does the race of your opponent matter in the hand?

Are there common play/styles that fall along racial boundaries?

Is mentioning his race critical to our analysis of the play and the hand?

-Scott

drewjustdrew
01-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Clearly it is more important that he is old than white. Old people all play the same way.

Softrock
01-27-2004, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Checks to OWG1957 who bets, LP calls, I raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

What else could possibly be more correct than raising?

tj00
01-27-2004, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there common play/styles that fall along racial boundaries?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the psychology of poker, there is a section on playing styles based on race.

slavic
01-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Race has little to do with this hand(in case you need to know I happen to be an Anglo American, however being a fairly young man I don't think about race), it simply puts the player in context. He is not a true rock, but he is quite passive for a 20/40 and quite tight. So for this game rock like compared to the other players.

slavic
01-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Results : I posted this for a bit of a reality check.

Preflop I think I need to raise to buy the button and boot out the blinds. I tend to know that my hand is better than the three players in front of me so why not take advantage if it.

On the flop our button is a pretty ABC guy, and I was fairly certain that AK or better was betting. On the turn we both improve and even though I feel he'll never lay two pair down I raise anyway.

He simply called the turn raise.

The river was a T filling me up. I bet and he just called.

His hand was AKo.

I don't know, I keep putting people on the right range of hands but I seem to have a problem settling down the aggression when my hand is fairly strong but I know my opponent is likely better.

As a conclusion, the button was a little miffed that I raised the turn on the come, and a few people at the table mentioned that I need to just call to try for the case ace. It's funny I don't even think about jackpots while I play.