PDA

View Full Version : A routine laydown?

Fianchetto
01-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Average Party 3/6 game.

I'm in the SB and am dealt AcAs.

2 limpers and the button raises, I reraise and all call. So 4 to the flop for 3 small bets each.

Flop: 8h 9h Qs

I bet out, first limper raises, second limper and button both cold call, I reraise to 9, and all call.

Turn: 4h , not a good card for me as it completes a flush draw.

I check (should I bet out again here? I was going into check/call mode until he raised the turn), 1st limper bet, 2nd limper raises, button folds, I fold, 1st limper calls.

River: 3c

check, bet, fold.

2nd limper never showed his hand, but I put him on either a flush or two pair, maybe a flopped straight with JT.
I really hate laying down AA, but I was beat here, right?

el_grande
01-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Against typical players, you are probably beat.

Your pot odds are pretty good though (you need about a 15% chance of being ahead). If you think that the 2nd limper is capable of bluffing, you should call.

Mike
01-27-2004, 06:34 PM
This situation is much easier if you have an idea of what the players play. Do they play middle straight cards? Have they been laying down suited cards for the winning big pair or two pair? Is the button raise a position raise or does he really have a hand? You raised and were reraised, did the raiser plan on you folding to pressure because you did it three times before in the last hour? It is impossible to know whether your laydown was good or bad without knowing more.

Generally your preflop play screams AA or KK maybe QQ or JJ from a strong player. No Ace or King on the flop means you probably didn't get help. You can't fake either the flush or straight draw so your hanging in the wind if someone is paying attention.

I firmly believe you need to know what you are going to do with your hand before you bet. It saves a lot of guessing. If you aren't willing to take AA to the river in most situations, the smarter play imo is fold preflop or let it go on the flop to a scary board.

Fianchetto
01-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Well, I was fairly new to the table, and I didn't have much of a read on the players.

I guess it does signal a big pair the way I played it... but fold preflop/on the flop? I'll put in as many bets as I can when I know I'm ahead; preflop I had the nuts, and on the flop I put in the last raise, so I believe I'm ahead at that point.

On the turn maybe I should have bet out, and felt better about folding to the raise, but as it was, the 2nd limper is raising into 3 players, 2 have been showing strength.
With a three flush and straight possibility on board, I have to think taking one pair to the river in these situations can't be +EV.

GuyOnTilt
01-28-2004, 03:06 PM
If you aren't willing to take AA to the river in most situations, the smarter play imo is fold preflop...

This is quite possibly the worst advice I've seen in this forum. Ever.

GoT

Mike
01-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Really, and you say this because?

AJo Go All In
01-28-2004, 07:47 PM
if you honestly don't know the answer, quit poker, and shoot yourself in the face.

ike
01-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Folding AA preflop is quite possibly the most obviously moronic play in hold 'em, far worse than raising 72o. Doggedly taking AA to the river every time isn't in quite the same realm but is also a very good way to lose money.

BottlesOf
01-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Although not constructive, this is quite possibly the funniest post I've seen in this forum. Ever.

Mike
01-29-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm glad you understand the consequences of AA in this spot. Obvious big pair, scary flop, agression. Lay it down and you're duck soup as long as the same players remain, oops this is online - will they make a note of this? Play it off and you probably lose the hand. What's the better choice? I think go to the river with it crying all the way, AA may even win!