PDA

View Full Version : Image play, semi-bluff, respect???

10-26-2001, 04:48 PM
I'm in a great game last night playing mostly with fairly inexperienced players who play too loose on early rounds and fold too much on later ones. Nice situation. I'm on the button and limp into the pot with a fairly cheesy hand, Ad9c. there's 5 in the pot as we take the flop.

Flop is Ks 9d 47. Not bad, second pair, ace overcard, and backdoor flush draw. The SB bets and one calls. There's 7 bets in the pot and I have five outs, plus the backdoor draw. If I count the implied odds, I have more than enough to peel one off here. It's unlikely someone has AK, so my two pair will almost certainly be good if it hits. If a diamond comes, that would be nice too.

The turn is the 6d. SB checks and the cutoff bets. I raise it as a semi-bluff. The SB fold and the cutoff thinks. Finally, he says "I don't have diamonds", and tosses it in.

I made this play in part because I had recently made a flush and raised and won the pot. Also, I had won another pot with pocket kings a short time before. The players seemed a bit fearful of me, I was thinking I had a good image at the time, and that influenced my decision to semi-bluff raise. I was getting respect, which is odd, because I usually can't get no…. Don't worry, the respect didn't last long. Within an hour, with only a player or two being replaced, my raises were narrowing the field down to six or so. It's inevitable. Respect is usually fleeting, especially if you are playing against players who don't pay much attention.

Comments welcome.

Dave in Cali

10-26-2001, 05:31 PM
nice play