PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy it....

Josh W
01-27-2004, 03:17 AM
So, there I was, 6 racks deep in a very, um, well, I was playing 25-50 at the hustler.

Look, you read this forum. You play poker, you read players, right?

I'm not an expert, but I hold my own. And if I'm 6 racks deep in a game, you don't need me to tell you it's a great game, right? Phew.

So, I'm stuck. And I'm talking to Bob, who's next to me. Bob is a tight player. Old. White. First played cards in 1957. He told me so hisself.

He's reminiscing to me about the "good ol' days" in Gardena, the era of lowball and draw. The days when the suckers went broke, and the games weren't wild. Bob's a very nice man, and a reasonable (or better) card player.

He was telling me this, cuz we both started folding every hand since every pot was capped preflop (yes, 6 racks). Well, I had to interrupt him for a second. See, UTG raised, and a couple people called. I looked down to KK.

I make it $75 to go, Bob folds, and the BB calls. There were N of us to the flop for 3N small bets.

Flop comes 874. UTG bets, I think somebody called, I raised, and the Big Blind calls, saying "I need runner runner". It was a rainbow flop, thus officially eliminating any 'blanks' on the turn (they have since my last post stopped using the 14 of purple horseshoes in their decks).

Well, 3 or 4 of us see the turn, a Ten. maybe it put a flush draw out there, I really dunno. Well, the BB now bets out. UTG mucks, and it's on me.

Now, a brief word from our sponsor regarding the BB.

absolutelywretchedlyloosehorriblemaniacnonfoldingb oondoggle.

That's the word I was thinking of...took a second to come to my mind.

He likely has a Ten here. He wanted a runner runner straight, right? I mean, if he had J9 or 96, he wouldn't have said anything. If he flopped a pair and turned two pair, he wouldn't say anything.

So, I raise, and he calls. River is an offsuit three. He bets.

Remember, there are officially NO blanks in the deck.

So, I call, and he shows me his T3o (I wish I had an imagination that could make that up). I don't even say "nice hand", cuz it would be seen as a joke, and muck quietly.

And, I felt bad. Not about the hand, of course. No poker hand makes me feel bad. But I had interupted Bob's reminiscing. So, I turned to him and asked...

"Sorry, what were you saying about the golden age of poker?"

(PS...I won $200 tonight!)

Josh

andyfox
01-27-2004, 01:17 PM
I did. Bravo.

Talking with Snakehead a while back, a 3rd party in the conversation said something to the effect that so-and-so probably feared Andy. Snakehead said, "How could they fear him, he's an old white guy."

We old white guys have been play in since 1957 because we don't play ten-three and, when we do get a free play in the blind with it we don't see the turn when the flop is 8-7-4.

Good comeback from 6 racks deep to +$200. Somehow that feels better than a 6-rack win. We're a sick lot, we poker players.

mikelow
01-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Are you evaluating your play? Personally, I get up after two racks. You just can't play well with that hanging over you.

Come back another day.

Duke
01-27-2004, 02:13 PM
6 racks isn't that much in a LAG 5-10 chip structure game. 2 racks would be like leaving after a $800 loss in a 30-60 (given how big the game plays relative to your average 30-60).

~D

Josh W
01-27-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you evaluating your play? Personally, I get up after two racks. You just can't play well with that hanging over you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understand that this game is bigger than any 30 game I've ever played, but it's played with nickel chips. Going 3K into a 30 game isn't an enormous deal.

As for not being able to play well when stuck....if that's the case then I'd argue that somebody just plain can't play well. A good player plays well when stuck, when winning, and when drunk. Well, maybe...

Josh