PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 6-12 hand

10-26-2001, 02:00 PM
Early evening at the Mirage, the table is unusually loose. I feel that I have a very good read on the players at the moment.

5 limp to me, I limp on the button with 7c7d, blinds come along. 8 see the flop.

Flop: 3c-4h-5h - All check to me, I bet. Big Belt Buckle Local (BBBL) a loose fish calls up front, as do a Mediocre Aggressive Tourist (MAT), Loose Straightforward Lady (LSL), and the cutoff. 5 see the turn.

Turn [3c-4h-5h] 6h - BBBL bets, I instantly put him on a 7. He would have bet the flop with a heart draw. MAT calls LSL calls, cutoff drops, and it comes to me. I think MAT would have raised if he had a flush, especially with me behind him. He also is just good enough to raise the flop with a heart draw when it gets back to him. I am fairly certain LSL raises with a flush as well. I want the big hearts to pay. I want to give a naked 7 a chance to fold. Therefore I raise. None of the look happy but they all call.

River [3c-4h-5h-6h] Qc - Checked to me, I check.

Question 1 - Given the texture of the game, anyone like raising on the button with a pocket pair and 5 limpers already in?

Question 2 - What do you think of the turn raise? Anyone call, or even fold?

Question 3 - Anyone bet the river for either 1) value or 2) to give the same hand a chance to fold? I am comfortable I can fold to a checkraise. My turn raise is strong enough to deter anything that tricky unless they have the nuts. Then again, I could be be losing to a small flush, or a bigger straight and would simply be throwing money away even if they do just call me.

Thoughts appreciated.

10-26-2001, 02:58 PM
We're any of the flop callers in the blinds? Hard to tell from your description and hard to put them on a hand if they were.

Interesting to me that you hold 77 and put one of your opponents on a 7 as well. Sounds like maybe you are putting them on a hand that allows you to raise because you want to raise, not because that is a very logical holding.

Still, I like your flop bet and turn raise. No one has shown much strength here and your hand might very well be good. When no one folds I think it is prudent to check the river. Hard to think of many hands that will call you that you can beat. (If there are blind players, the ignorant end of the straight and maybe a pair with Ah kicker are possible). Against one player I think you have a thin value bet on the river. Difficult to push too hard here with 4 players.

KJS

10-26-2001, 03:16 PM
Sorry bout the unclear position. BBBL, the guy who led at the turn was 2UTG. My read on him was simply because I have played with him many times before. His preflop standards are very low and he loves to lead at flops with either big draws (hearts) or 2 big overcards, especially from up front.

When he checks the flop, but leads at the turn, he either has a 7 (maybe even 78s in diamonds or spades, or possibly A7, K7s, etc.) or he has a naked Ah, but with all the people in the field, I thought that was the less likely scenario.

I know it is unlikely that another 7 is out there, which contributes to my turn raise, but rightly or wrongly, I thought that the way he played the hand lent itself to him having one of the two remaining 7's.

He's simply not a very tricky dude. But he does wear very big belt buckles though. Very impressive.

10-26-2001, 06:10 PM
I would almost always raise 77 on the button with 5 limpers to me.

I like the flop bet

I wouldn't raise the turn. Don't try and get too fancy at 3-6, nobody's going to fold a 7 to one bet. It's much more likely for someone to have a flush (with you drawing dead) than to have somebody fold a 7. Just call and hope your non-nut straight holds up.

On the river, again, don't bet the river to try and get a seven to fold. If they called the turn, they'll call the river.

10-27-2001, 01:41 PM
"I know it is unlikely that another 7 is out there, which contributes to my turn raise, but rightly or wrongly, I thought that the way he played the hand lent itself to him having one of the two remaining 7's."

Why is it unlikely that another 7 is out there?

index

10-27-2001, 04:07 PM
There are only 4 7's in the deck. He has 3 accounted for, so his opponent having a 7, despite his play is unlikely. Also, what reasonable hand do you limp with that contains only one 7?

Jeff

10-27-2001, 06:17 PM
You stole my thunder, lol. That is my point...I have two of the 7's and not many hands with a 7 are going to limp, even assuming that the other 7's aren't buried in the deck somewhere. Anytime I have a 1 card straight with a pocket pair, I have far more confidence that I am the only one with the straight. In this case, however, I thought that BBBL, who led at the turn, had one because of his actions.

10-27-2001, 06:24 PM
I need to raise more preflop in this situation, I agree with you.

This is 6-12, not 3-6 and despite their loose play, the players in this hand are capable of laying down a 1 card straight on a scary board.

The raise on the turn is better than calling I think. I charge the draws, and will get the option for a free showdown almost all of the time. Remember that me raising could easily represent a made flush to these players. Anything but the nuts will likely be very passive from here on out.

RESULT.......

I checked it down, and chopped with BBBG who had Qs7s. The loose lady mucked without showing and the mediocre dude flashed the Ah. I chopped the pot with my 7 high straight.

There is a small chance that BBBG lays down with 2 players left to act behind him, and thats why I think I should have bet. The free showdown is an OK option, and one of the reasons to raise the turn, but given the lack of resistance from the players in the hand, I think my river bet might have been correct. Tough situation.

10-27-2001, 07:18 PM
I think you should raise with 77's with 5 limpers.

I like the flop bet.

Turn, if you know for sure he doesn't have a flush. Because you had a good read that he would have bet the flop wth a flush draw then raise is good. I would bet the river. If nobody reraised you on the turn your hand is probably good outright or a tie and maybe you get an overcall. I don't think he will muck his 7 but crazier things have happen. If he was gonna muck the 7 he probably would have on the turn.