PDA

View Full Version : folding AA?

10-26-2001, 10:13 AM
3-6 Holdem, mostly weak players. I have been playing tight and aggressive, but running bad. One of those days.

I pick up AA in the cutoff. (Joy!) Middle position raiser (MPR), one caller, I reraise, MPR caps it, caller calls. Flop comes K72 rainbow. MPR bets, caller calls (maybe thats where he got his name?), I reraise. At this point I am afraid of KK, so I reraise to see where I am at. MPR calls, caller drops. Turn comes blank, MPR checks.

My first instinct is to check after him. His preflop cap made me think of KK right away. Then I convince myself that checking would be a weak play and bet. He raises. I cry-call raise and bet on river, he turns over KK.

I should have folded to the raise on the turn. At that point, I was quite sure he had KK. Next time, I will trust my instincts...

Stephan

10-26-2001, 11:13 AM
I disagree with you that checking would be a weak play. With that flop any raising hand that you beat only has a few outs against you. At worst (out wise) he has KQo which gives him 5 outs. Otherwise he could have AK, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, maybe AQ AJ (assuming he wouldn't fold the underpairs). All of which has at most 3 outs against you so the free card is fairly safe. A check could induce a bluff from him and allow you to snap an extra bet on the river. If he checks into you on the river you have a fairly safe value bet. Had the flop been QJx twotone you would have to bet the turn but with this flop the freecard isn't that dangerous.

Just my opinions and I might be result biased...

Sincerely, Andreas

10-26-2001, 04:26 PM
I certainly was not worried about a free card. At the point I was either going to check because of my read that he had KK, or, as I actually did, bet for value, hopefully into AK or QK.

But the likelihood of him raising with QK and then capping after a reraise was pretty small. The only hand he could have (that I could beat) would be AK. There a value bet would have been good.

Afterall, I think a check would have been superior. (without knowing the result, of course)

S