PDA

View Full Version : AKo in the SB: kill pot with aggressive players

10-24-2001, 07:01 PM
I'm in the SB with AKo. The players are fairly loose and relatively aggressive. They are kinda fooling around too, so the game is a little crazy. It's 7 handed at the moment. It's a kill and the killer is in the BB. UTG, a LAG player, raises. The cutoff and button both cold call, as do I. The killer calls and we take the flop 5 handed for two bets each.

The flop is Kc 8c Js (none of my suits). I decide to go for a check-raise here. These players are almost certain to bet the flop. The pre-flop raiser will bet here virtually 100% of the time, regardless of what he flopped. I check and it's checked to the raiser, who bets. Two calls and I check-raise. The killer drops and the rest call.

The turn is the 7c. I don't like it, but I am not going to give any free cards to someone with a singleton club. I bet out, planning to fold if raised. They all call.

The river is a blank. I bet and get one caller. Ace kicker wins.

Comments welcome

Dave in Cali

10-24-2001, 07:58 PM
i would bet into the early position raiser, and would have check-raised the pre-flop raiser if he was in late position.

good river bet.

10-25-2001, 07:28 AM
Yes, I would be wanting to get this heads-up. Bet into the raiser if you think there's a good probability that he will raise...may even get the chance to three bet!

10-25-2001, 09:49 AM
Generally if I am in a kill pot, the true maniac in me shines through. I want the pot, period, and will do whatever I have to do to drive out other players.

I think you did the right thing. With this type of game and players tending towards the LAG end of the scale, you are on the tightrope. You have a great hand, but maybe not the best. One mis-step and they cut loose with raises whether they have hands or not. It could be painful, and take a number of wins to recoup this one loss. Well played.