PDA

View Full Version : Okay still learning, rate my play. .. . .

tdomeski
01-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Took some heat from this one from the guy I busted. . .let me know my mistakes and most importantly is this a winning play in the long run. . .
.10/.25 NLHE at Pokerstars
$28 in chip to my opponents $30
On Button dealt J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
very loose game with big stacks, three callers to the man to my right, he makes it $1.50 to go, I call on the button, all three limpers call. . . At this point I feel good b/c I know my hand is merely a drawing hand and I have a good shot of winning a big pot if I hit. . .
Flop: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif leaving me with a Double Belly Buster straight draw. . .three checks to the raiser who bets $5 into a $7.50 pot. . .this is a pretty big bet for this table so I now put him on anything from KQ to KK to AA. . .but on the button I call, knowing this is a very aggresive player who will most likely push in at some point in this hand. Three others fold. Turn 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif giving me the absolute nuts. He jumps out and goes all in, I call. River K /images/graemlins/heart.gif, he turns over AA. . I take the $50+ pot. . . .
After the hand he calls me every name in the book, rate my play on all streets. . .
TDomeski

sam h
01-26-2004, 10:46 PM
You played it great tdomeski. Sometimes I will fold this hand preflop for 6xBB, but with the button and the likelihood of a multiway pot, I think its worth it to call. The flop call is good, as your opponent seems unlikely to be pushed off by a semi-bluff and you want multiway action anyway. The turn is a no-brainer, of course.

People will berate you all the time, no matter how well or poorly you played. They are generally idiots. The better players are almost always quiet, because 1) they don't want to scare away bad players by letting them know they're bad and 2) they know that getting stacked is just part of the game.

Acesover8s
01-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Played it fine by my books, very few hands get paid off as well as gutshot straight draws, so a double bellybuster is about as fine a drawing hand as you can have.

When he criticizes you confirm that he played it right, so he'll continue to play it that way in the future.

1800GAMBLER
01-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Who plays AA different here and how so?

Funny, imagine this was heads up so the fundmental theory of poker applies and play the hand against yourself. Interesting stuff.

Acesover8s
01-26-2004, 11:48 PM
I raise more preflop, I usually overbet the pot preflop regardless of my hand. I bet the full pot on flop, but I still go broke on the turn. But at least I would have charged him to get there.

How would you play it?

Guy McSucker
01-27-2004, 04:19 AM
You played it fine.

He was berating you because you outdrew him and worse, he didn't see that you could hit a Q as well. He thought you just hit a gutshot. That's the power of double belly busters.

Guy.

SpaceAce
01-27-2004, 04:55 AM
Hi, tdomeski. I think you played it well with the possible exception of calling the pre-flop raise. You described the game as loose, though, and you were on the button so I think this call is fine.

You paid a lot for your draw but you believed you would get all your opponent's money if you hit and that's an important consideration in no ilmit. He's mad because you cracked his Aces but I don't think your play was poor.

SpaceAce

Shaun
01-27-2004, 07:07 AM
Everything looks good, and your opponent had no one but himself to blame.

bunky9590
01-27-2004, 07:32 AM
yeah, I make that call in a loose game if i feel strongly if the limpers will call. JTs is a great drawing hand that you can get away from if it whiffs.

The flopped DBB draw is a very deceptive one. He bet less than the pot which is good for you because he let you draw cheaper than he should. You still have to put in 20% of your stack for the turn card but I peel one off here, because I can break him if it hits (for sure, either the Q or the 8 gives you the stone cold nuts).

Turn card, he's fried now and drawing dead.

Well played, nice hand.