PDA

View Full Version : Poker Tracker help with tourney play

Phishy McFish
01-26-2004, 05:58 PM
I have yet to use Poker Tracker, but am considering downloading it. I much prefer SNG and 1 on 1 NL tourneys play with the occasional multi thrown in.....in comparison to ring/limit games.

My question is can Poker Tracker help my tourney play? If so, how and why specificallly?

Thanks....I really think this forum has made me a more discipline player.

Phishy McFish
01-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Anything??

itsmarty
01-30-2004, 12:59 PM
I go through Poker Tracker after every session and make notes on the players from that day's SnGs, just tourney type and position finished (notable play is recorded at the table, and imported to PT). It takes a number of tourneys before you start seeing repeats at the $10+1 level, but it's nice to have a little info. You could make those sort of notes without Poker Tracker, but it's hard to make a note on a guy that just bounced out of the tourney and is no longer at the table.

In addition to simple notes, PT really puts an incredible amount of data at your fingertips. You can see at a glance how you're really performing in each tourney type (Limit, NL, $10+1, $30+3, etc), how often you've tried to steal with a weak ace and sucked out, basically everything.

If you haven't started saving your hand histories, do so now. You'll appreciate having a lot of data right away. Also, download PT and take advantage of the trial period (1000 hands, can't recall how it applies to tournaments). I can't imagine anyone who plays poker for money not thinking it's worth $40 after checking it out.

Martin
(not associated with PT in any way /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Prickly Pete
01-30-2004, 01:46 PM
I am primarily a SNG player and don't use PT a ton for it. I keep pretty detailed stats on my wins/losses etc. in Excel so I don't need it for that. About the only thing I use it for is to see how a player has fared at a certain level, and you'll need few hundred SNGs to get even a dozen tourneys with the same player. But for $40, it's worth it just for some of the fun stats you could see (I've been dealt 55 more than any other pair, XXXX has played in 11 tourneys with me and never finished better than 5th, etc.)

However, if you play any ring games at all, I'd say PT is an absolute necessity and the best $40 you'll spend.