PDA

View Full Version : Shorthanded: Defending Blinds

10-24-2001, 05:17 AM
I (like to think that) I am a tight aggressive player and I have recently begun playing low limit, short-handed games on Planet Poker (generally 4-5 handed). When I say "tight", I mean that I have adjusted my starting standards to the shorthanded game to the best of my abilities, but I am still usually the tightest player at the table. As for aggressiveness, depending on whether or not I am first in, I come in for a raise maybe half the time (or better?!). And I am aggressive (but NOT recklessly so) after the flop.

I possess about 30-40 poker books (all the big ones less the latest edition of Mike Caro's Tells), and have found short-handed information only in S&M HFAP 21st Century and John Feeney's (awesome) Inside the Poker Mind. (My copy of McEvoy's Championship Holdem is loaned out--I don't remember if there is shorthanded info in it?)

Currently, my biggest dilemma is when I should defend my blinds. I tend to play very tightly in these games and USUALLY it serves me quite well. Most of the players are totally unobservent and non-aggressive. (God I love these games!)

Naturally, there are two classes of opponents that I have verying degrees of trouble with. These are: 1. Tough, observent players 2. Overly aggressive (and sometimes poor) players.

Let me start by explaining my baseline blind-defending hands.

If myself (in the BB) and the raiser are the only two remaining (and depending on where the raise came from), I will call with i.e. Ax, K9o, Kxs, T9o, 87s, any pair (as minimums). I reraise with only solid hands. ***** Against a raiser & one or more callers, I add many suited cards, but not much in the way of more unsuited cards. *****Should I be calling hands such as 97o, Qx, etc.? Of course, against some players, I can toss even certain of the aformentioned hands(as they only raise when they have something good...), but I mean against average players...

Taking the "overly aggressive" class next...I will reraise them much more often (especially when they raise from the button or SB) , but I do not extend my calling hands by much. The problem I have here is that if I don't flop anything (usually the case!), I feel I need to fold (...hands that I don't currently play). Is this a major flaw in my game?

And on to the tough players...They, of course, notice my tightness and will raise my blind more often, BUT NOT INDISCRIMINATELY. I don't feel that I can reraise much more often. And these same players tend to outplay me after the flop. Am I correct to just generally give in and fold against these players, avoiding them as much as possible? If there are two of these types in the game, I will leave.

Fortunately, the majority of players at the limits I play give their money away even to mediocre players such as myself. Don't get me wrong--I'm fairly adept at a full ring game and have spent my last couple years studying the game intensively. But my tight ring game style is in for some major adjustment with this shorthanded bit!

10-24-2001, 11:59 AM
This is a part of my own game I have trouble with. However, in your post I hear no mention of position! You can defend much more liberally against only the SB then against a normal steal. (Even though the pot is a tad smaller) since you have position on him for the rest of the hand.

Something you can do against the tough players is to throw in a reraise with a hand that really doesn't warrant it, say, 87s, just to get them to leave your blind alone more often. This way the cannot peg you to a hand as accurately if you reraise them in the BB.

Just some hints.

Sincerely, Andreas

10-24-2001, 12:18 PM
im just guessing from your post but i think you are not really tight aggressive. you may be defending your blind too much when they have a hand and not just a steal. you are not reraising often enough. and you are definetly not bringing it in with a raise often enough.

then after the flop alot more often you need to just call them down or find a way to win without a showdown.

remember that 4 and 5 handed are more different than 8 or 9 handed. good luck.

10-25-2001, 01:03 AM
My post was getting a little long, so did omit positional considerations. But I do pay attention to these things. I also VERY occaisionally throw in a reraise on a weaker hand.

10-25-2001, 01:39 AM
ThanX Ray!

In a 4 or 5 handed game, how do you tell whether or not they are on a steal? You can "steal" from practically anywhere.

And what do you consider as a steal raise? Is i.e. A8o a steal raise shorthanded?

What hands should you defend your blinds with against a legitamte raise and against a steal raise? Yes, I know you adjust according to your opponents, but like S&M say in HFAP, you need a baseline with which to work.

Also, where can I find more information relating to this subject?

10-25-2001, 02:19 AM
In 5 handed play I'd be careful against who you defend your blind against with Ax and Kx for x small. Against somebody who will attempt steals with a really wide range of hands x can be pretty small but if the stealer is likely to have an ace, a king, or a pair your hand is hard to win any money with. Additionally be less likely to call with those hands if the player is fairly good after the flop.

I think Qx and Jx are typically fairly weak hands because they have such little showdown chance. Again it depends on how you opponent plays post flop, but generally I want something more to go with my jack or queen.

10-25-2001, 12:11 PM
new edition of hfap has good shorthanded stuff.

a steal raise is any raise you suspect because of your reads, or from a position that player would raise from to rob the blinds.

against a legit hand i would want to play from the blinds almost as tight as in a ring game.

and to repeat. 4 handed is diffent from 5 handed.