PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 suited

10-23-2001, 05:31 PM
I was playing 3-6, 10 handed, fairly passive game. Not much pre-flop raising unless there were big hands. I had been playing about 6 hours, and my image was decent (showed down good hands, caught some straights/flushes after raising).

I am on the button with 2d-3d. All 7 players limp, I raise, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop is Ad-5d-6d. Bet, 3 calls, I raise, all call.

Turn is Kc. Bet, 3 calls, I raise, some fold (I forget the exact order). There are now 5 players.

River is a blank. Bet, 3 calls, I raise, all call.

Two others had AK, two others mucked, and I won.

I was roundly berated for raising with this hand and roundly berated for even playing it.

My questions are 1)should I play it and 2)should I raise it.

My thinking is that I am pretty sure most players will call my raise, and I am pretty sure no players will raise it. If the flop doesn't hit, I will quickly fold. But if it does hit, I can win a big pot.

Now, this hand worked out perfectly, but is this a good/average/bad/horrendous play in the future?

Thanking in advance for the responses,

ThePokerDoc

10-23-2001, 07:02 PM
It will hit 2 pair or better about 1 time in 28. The other 27 times you are investing 2 small bets and folding. You also need to factor in the times you hit a flush or straight and lose. In those cases you are investing more than 2 small bets and losing. That should help you clarify how bad of an error it is.

KJS

10-23-2001, 08:43 PM
I don't think you should play it at all.

There are only 2 straight options w/ 32, and only one is the nuts.

You will always have the weakest flush possible, and you will pay through the nose to higher flushes or suckouts.

Your two pair is vulnerable to straights, but moreso to folks w/ top pair drawing out on you or to higher two pair.

It's not even incredibly likely you will flop a hand you can continue with (assuming you would fold one pair), as mentioned by KJS.

So, yes, I would fold with 32s and not think twice. It may not be the worst play in the world to limp in on the button with this hand, but I can see no justification for putting more money in before the flop and I think a limp is still CLEARLY -EV.

Mojay

10-23-2001, 10:02 PM
So it appears that I got lucky this time and should not make this a normal part of my game. Must be careful not to become too results oriented!

Thanks,

ThePokerDoc

10-24-2001, 12:27 PM
2,3 s does poorly even with position and seven blind limpers. however calling would only show a tiny loss. raising with it is wasted unless you felt you could steal later in the hand.