PDA

View Full Version : The pure nuts: why slowplay?

10-23-2001, 05:07 PM
It's a kill pot. My raises, especially in kill pots in this game have been getting some respect, and effectively narrowing the field much of the time. I'm 2nd UTG. The Killer is UTG. I have black pocket nines. I decide to raise. The very next player goes to 18, and the next caps it! The killer calls 18 more, I call, call. 4 players and 16+ bets in the pot. I don't like taking the flop with pocket nines when it's capped, but I was already halfway in. Also, these guys are somewhat loose with their raising standards, I can't be sure the 18$ bet meant anything. However, the cap by that particular player screams out pocket aces. If I don't flop a set, I'm gone.

the flop is real nice: 9h 8s 6h. It's great to have flopped a set, but this is a dangerous flop. These players could very well have a straight draw, despite the capped pot. A flush draw is also a distinct possibility. I also don't want to see an ace. UTG checks and I bet. I am hoping to get raised so I can three bet it. No dice, everyone calls.

The turn is REALLY nice, the case 9. It's checked to me. I have quads, the stone cold nuts. Could I slowplay? Sure. Am I going to? No. I bet and all call again.

The river is the 3c. I bet and get two calls. The pre-flop capper actually had QQ. Go figure why he didn't raise me on the flop. I think he was playing with scared money, as he reluctantly upgraded his buy-in from $30 to $40.

Even in the rare instances when you have a hand that meets the criterion for slowplaying, it doesn't always mean you SHOULD slowplay it. Had I slowplayed, I probably would have just won a smaller pot, because everyone would have checked the turn, and I probably would have lost a couple callers on the river too. By betting again on the turn, no one suspected that I had such a monster hand, because THEY all would have slowplayed it, and they expected me to do the same.

Comments welcome

Dave in Cali

10-24-2001, 12:11 PM
I don't see how your hand qualifies as a "slow play" hand. [] Your hand is disguised since its "obvious" you have a big pocket pair [] Lots of players are going to call; certainly the other big pairs but also the straight and flush draws and even the AQ over-cards may call. [] The only hands who are not going to call who can make a strong 2nd best hand are the unlikely small pocket pairs. [] Someone can easily have a strong hand and raise allowing you to 3-bet.

Check-raising is a viable option, but I probably wouldn't do it.

Basically slow-playing is for when the are NOT going to call now, although there are some induce bluffs and strategic uses as well.

- Louie