PDA

View Full Version : Is this just bad luck??

imcastleman
01-26-2004, 01:24 PM
I have not done much posting here but I just want to re-assure myself that there was nothing I could have done to prevent myself from losing out of the Party Poker $215 Saturday NL tournament with the following hand.

I am dealt QQ utg and have T4200 with the blinds at 200 400. I raise to T1200. The button has T5500 and re-raises to T2000. I moved all in and he called with KK. Unfortunately, I flopped a Q with 2 spades and it came runner runner spade for the Kings to win, but I don’t see anyway I could have survived the tournament in this situation. Does anyone disagree??

adamsb
01-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Yay! My first post... I've been hangin out here for quite some time but finally decided its time to start delivering my two cents (and recieving a few cents from everyone here too..)
Anyway, in regards to your situation. Your bet was certainly sufficient pre-flop and you are right I dont think there is anyway to escape this one. However, I have been in this situation numerous times and have actually folded. This early in the tournament, why not just wait for a better shot. While yes, QQ is quite the premium hand I prefer to conserve my chips for another battle. In regards to your all-in play - if you are going to play this hand this is obviously the correct play as his raise would constitute more than half your stack if flat called. Hope my first post is ok. Please critisize it along with the question in general.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Well, I'd have a tough time not ending up like you did considering the chip situation, but his minimum reraise looks suspicious.

What does that minimum reraise suggest he *wants* you to do?

Again, looking at my stack, realizing I'd be down to 7.5 BB if I fold, I'd have a hard time looking at my QQ and listening to an honest answer to that question, but maybe that's a leak in my game. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jw2k
01-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Given your stack size, there's no way (short of mucking QQ preflop) that you're going to avoid this, short of looking at his cards preflop.

crackzone
01-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Hmm...i agree with Kurn...he certanly wants u to call, that's what he's saying, or he's hoping for u to move in on him...wich is what happened...
I think, though, that the right play in this situation is to simply call him and move in on him on the flop.
This allows a much greater chance of you stealing the pot from him, and does he call u there, sit back and enjoy his bad play.. trips vs. overpair and backdoor flush smells big trouble for him...
I don't like the pre-flop all-in...U are UTG, and raises the pot significantly, for him to reraise (unless he has no clue of what he's doing) i would put him on at least AKo, and i don't move in on a guy like that with QQ, it's not a very good hand in your given situation... so...a call preflop and move all-in if u manage to make trips...
I sometimes would fold QQ against some opponents in the given situation...
any other thoughts?