PDA

View Full Version : AA River Play?

10-22-2001, 03:06 PM
2/4 HE at Paradise Poker. 10 players. Only played for 15 minutes. No read on the SB. Button player seems straightforward.

I'm under the gun with AdAs, so I open-raise.

Button cold calls. Small blind calls. Big Blind folds.

3 players.

Flop: Qh Jd 7h

SB checks. I bet. Both players call.

Turn: Qh Jd 7h 2d

SB checks. I bet. Only SB calls.

2 players.

River: Qh Jd 7h 2d Th

SB checks. What should I do? Why?

Mojay

10-22-2001, 05:08 PM
I would probably check it off. The SB could just be a fish that will call to the end with the pair he made on the flop, but he could have been on the flush or straight draw. I've noticed players on Paradise rarely bet their flushes or straights if they hit on the river. Almost everyone goes for a check raise. You can bet, but if he raises, what do you do? You should probably fold as he is bound to have two pair or higher.

Basically with a board with a possible straight and a possible flush and all you've got is high pair there is no reason to bet. It's not too often you'll get called here unless you are beat and you could get raised.

10-22-2001, 05:51 PM
If the opponent is at all observant he knows you started with a solid hand. Lets suppose the opponent has a pair. What does he THINK you have? What does he HOPE you have? Well, before the river he hopped you had AK or a big flush draw; and now both those possibilities are dashed with the river card.

While there are certainly opponents who will call with any pair in this spot there are also who know that tight UTG raisers can beat a pair of Jacks by now. Over-all I'd say you are not going to get called by a pair all that much. Add to that the very reasonable possibility that you just got beat and I'd say go ahead and check your over-pair.

This situation is an EXCEPTION to the general rule of betting out your big one pairs on the river, especially heads up.

- Louie

10-23-2001, 12:40 AM
Why don't you post this under Internet Poker instead where I think it belongs?

10-23-2001, 07:34 PM
Internet poker seems to focus less on hand histories and more on the overall state of the game. If I want a hand commented upon, I want to go where people interested in doing that are lurking. To me, that seems to be the small stakes forum.

A 2/4 Paradise Poker game is both Internet poker and small stakes poker. Therefore, either forum seems appropriate. I chose the one I expected would get the best response.

Mojay

10-23-2001, 07:35 PM
I bet, figuring that he wouldn't check-raise the flush but would call with one pair.

He check-raised. I gave him a crying call and paid off the flush.

Mojay