PDA

View Full Version : JJ heads-up vs. a tight player

DiamondDave
01-26-2004, 05:44 AM
15/30, full table. My opponent in this hand is a winning player with tight starting standards who would win much more if he would re-raise more.

Tighty opens for a raise in MP. I three-bet two off the button with JJ, everyone else folds, the tight player calls. We're heads-up. The flop is low, ragged, and rainbow. He bets, I raise, he calls. The turn is a blank, he check-calls. The turn is a blank, he check-calls. He shows me QQ and takes the pot.

Tighty would open for a raise in that spot with AK, AQ, AJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, maybe 99 or ATs, but definitely not ATo, KQs, or 88.

Who thinks I should have folded before the flop?

Who thinks I should have checked the river?

Boopotts
01-26-2004, 06:23 AM
I check the flop. If he bets the turn, I raise unless an A hits. If he checks the turn I bet, no matter what drops. I'd change this if he was the type to a) muck something like KK or QQ to a turn raise if the A hits, or b) if he would fold two overs on the flop to a bet. But, I've seen enough of your posts to assume--safely, I think-- that a perceptive, winning player isn't going to do either of these things when they find themselves up against you in a heads-up pot.

Bummer about the Q's.

Gabe
01-26-2004, 06:25 AM
Well you from what you said about him before the flop you shouldn’t fold.

As far as checking the river, it depends on how he would play his different hands against you. Would he call the river with AK? Would he have reraised with KK before the flop? For example if he wouldn’t call you with any Ace high on the river, but will call you with any of the pairs you mention, and he would reraise with KK and AA before the flop, and you think there is a chance he has 99, you still have a value bet on the river. If everything else is the same, but he wouldn’t have reraised with KK, you don’t.

cepstrum
01-26-2004, 10:53 AM
well dave, if your opponent's starting requirements are as stated, then you can't fold before the flop, can you? with all those big aces to raise with, you are ahead nearly 3/4 of the time, and when you are ahead, he's drawing to 3 or fewer outs more than a third of the time.

that said, once your opponent bets the flop, he is representing either ak or one of the big pairs, so while you are still probably ahead, it's not as nice a situation as it once was. and if your opponent really won't open-raise with kqs in middle position, then i would even hesitate to put him on ak. and now you are probably trailing.

so i don't think you have a raise on the flop, and given opponent's tightness, i would consider folding. obviously you only have a bet on the river if your opponent will call with ak or tt - because he ain't folding jj or better. but as stated above, i think the flop bet makes that ak and tt unlikely.

good luck

cepstrum

OrangeHeat
01-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Looks fine to me.

SoBeDude
01-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Fold prelfop 0%

Reraise preflop 100%

Raise the flop 100%

Bet the turn 100%

Bet the river 100%

Be thankful he didn't charge you another big bet. With QQ there heads up, I'm popping you one more time.

-Scott