PDA

View Full Version : Q8o in SB

Ulysses
01-26-2004, 05:08 AM
4-handed Party 10/20 6-max

Super aggressive near-maniac CO folds. Very straightforward button limps. Button seems to be playing this like a full game - limping w/ suited connectors, not raising very much, etc. BB is extremely passive and a little loose.

I have Qd8h in the SB. Now, in most 6-max scenarios w/ anyone else in, this is an auto-muck for me. How about you? Or, if folded to me v. a weak BB, a raise. But with these two predictable, passive opponents, I figure I can see a flop. What do you think?

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 3s, 6h, 8d ]

I bet. BB folds. Button raises - I figure something like 89s probably. I 3-bet, button calls.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4h ]

I bet, button calls.

** Dealing River ** : [ Qc ]

I check. What do you think?

AJo Go All In
01-26-2004, 05:22 AM
every time i do something like this, 89 checks behind on me. so i would bet the river.

stripsqueez
01-26-2004, 08:42 AM
i call most of the time

your hand is an argument for call looking a decent choice

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

SpaceAce
01-26-2004, 11:08 AM
I would have bet the river. You're almost guaranteed to get a call out of him with a bet. After you showed all that strength, I doubt he'd expect you to fold for a single bet on the river so he'll probably check behind you unless the Queen helped him.

Edit: What I said goes double since you call your opponent "straightforward". A straightforward player is unlikely to try anything tricky in this situation.

SpaceAce

Ulysses
01-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Well, I figured even a straightforward player here would likely value bet an 8. Especially if he has been paying any attention at all to my play. I felt pretty confident I could get a checkraise in if he had an 8.

So I checked. And he thought for a long, long time and finally bet. I checkraised and he insta-called. My two pair was good v. his KK. Oops. Given the amount of time he took on the river, he surely would have checked behind something like 89s or J8s, so I agree that betting the river is better against this opponent.

I'm still not sure about Q8o in the SB in this spot.

Apocalypse
01-26-2004, 07:38 PM
just some questions:

wouldn't a raise be more sensible for the button on the turn? Not only because he's got a fat chance he is way ahaid at that point, and even a 3-bet on Ulysees part shouldn't have to scare him with no draws on board

By checking, what did u want him to think you had or missed (with u thinking he was on an 98s or an A8 or something). There are no draws, and since u 3-bet on the flop he'd at least should u put on a top- or overpair who gets scared of a Q or something and settles for a check-call. Or a sheer bluff and u should have some kind of image at the table to justify that possibility. If he had an 8, he would've had reasons to check behind. So why take the risk?

could u (or anybody for that matter) please reply, since im just starting out and have a hard time wagering options. And nobody seems to respond to my former posts... /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ulysses
01-26-2004, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't a raise be more sensible for the button on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
By checking, what did u want him to think you had or missed (with u thinking he was on an 98s or an A8 or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really care allthat much what he thought I had. I had him squarely on an eight and was banking on the fact that most SH opponents can't help but bet flopped top pair in a situation like this w/ just one overcard that I'm clearly scared of. I felt he would put me on something like 67 or 77 when I checked the river.

[ QUOTE ]
If he had an 8, he would've had reasons to check behind. So why take the risk?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I mentioned in my results post, I think betting the river, especially vs. this type of opponent, is the better move.

Boopotts
01-27-2004, 12:30 AM
It's an interesting question, but the more interesting question (IMO) is this: Would you bet out if an 8 dropped instead of the Q?