PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to posters

Nate tha' Great
01-26-2004, 02:55 AM
Just thinking out loud here.

I've found some success by loosening my preflop standards somewhat in hands where a poster (e.g. mid-postion blind, not a 2+2er) is present. Two reasons for this. Well, three...

1) There's more dead money in the pot, since the poster usually won't have a playable hand.

2) Other players are also adjusting to the presence of the poster and loosening their own calling/raising standards.

3) Posters themselves are inclined to raise very light (I think this is one of the few bits of advise in HEFAP that can get people into trouble).

To give one example, I just semi cold-called a raise in the SB with AJo because I thought an aggressive player two off the button was attempting a super-steal from a CO poster and the blinds. (A 3-bet might have been better, but the poster had called and I didn't want to create a huge pot with that hand).

Basically, I think the presence of a poster changes the game structure pretty significantly.

Agree/disagree?

BigEndian
01-26-2004, 09:34 AM
If you still play 6-max games, then it's obviously more pronounced. But it doesn't change my game very much other than if the poster is one of two or less limpers and I'm in LP with a hand I think is likely superior, I'll pop it (AT, KJ for example).

Other than that, I register it as a weak limp, which means I'm more likely to raise with the likes of AQ, KQs, AJ and middle pairs than normal (and sometimes QJs).

- Jim