PDA

View Full Version : here's another tricky one...

muzungu
01-26-2004, 12:40 AM
50 Party NL. LP has a small stack of $30 or 35, I've got him covered.

BB special: T4o. 2 limpers + SB.

Flop: T94 rainbow. Top and bottom: I slightly overbet for 5. LP calls.

Turn: 8, completing the rainbow. Not the card I was hoping for.

Q: What's my plan here. Generally, I think I'd like to get to the showdown as cheaply as possible. How's that going to happen?

I bet $7 on the turn (Ugh- I think I should either bet more or checked, on reflection), he called.

The river: a 7. Double yuck. I check, he bets $10. What to do here? Results below in white.

<font color="white"> I folded and he showed 87s for a smaller 2 pair. Doh. Was losing to all the other likely drawing hands I considered (QJ, JT, J8,), as well as slowplays- forgot about this one. The one tiime I don't make the crying call... </font>

Jon Matthews
01-26-2004, 11:05 AM
It's not that much so I go all in on the turn, hoping that the caller on the flop wasn't a straight draw.

tewall
01-26-2004, 12:38 PM
If you want to get to the showdown as cheaply as possible, the way to do that is to check. However, since the stack size is small, and you'll win most of these, that shouldn't be your plan.

Your plan should be to get the money in. I think betting the pot, or just slightly under, is the best way to do that. That pretty much pot commits him. I like that better than going all-in because if you do that he might fold some hands that you otherwise would have gotten money from, but you'll still lose the hands you were going to lose.

If the stack sizes were much larger, you'd be in a much more difficult situation, as you really don't want to face a large raise on the turn. Here you're happy to see a raise as he'll raise with many hands that you have beat.

SomeName
01-26-2004, 01:22 PM
I agree with this logic. If he only has 30$ left bet 15$.