PDA

View Full Version : Busted Flush

10-20-2001, 04:39 AM
3/6 holdem, 10 players. Two loose players(LP1,LP2) limp. I limp in the cutoff w/Ad Jd. BB checks. 4 players.

Flop comes 9h 9d 8d. LP2 bets. I raise with my flush draw and two over cards. BB and LP1 muck. LP2 calls. Two players.

Turn comes Ks. LP2 checks. I bet. He calls.

River comes 4s (no flush). LP2 checks. What would you do and why?

10-20-2001, 05:01 AM
For starters, big suited cards like AJs are worthy of a pre-flop raise when you're in late position and only limpers are ahead of you. But that's a seperate issue.

My decision to either bet or check on the river in this situation depends on the hand I've put LP2 on. If I think he has a pair of any kind (8s, pocket pair) then I check behind because loose players will call with these types of hands. If I think he was just drawing to a hand and won't call a bet, I probably just check as well since my Ace-high will win the pot with no risk that I've put him on the wrong hand.

So I guess the only reason to bet is to prevent anybody from seeing my cards. That's not enough for me. I'll check behind him and hope my Ace-high wins the pot against another diamond draw.

10-20-2001, 11:16 PM
When a loose player calls the turn after you bet through the king, he's most likely going to call the river as well with any kind of hand. If he's just drawing, your AJ is probably good anyway. Against a loose player who can't lay down a hand anyway, I'd check it behind him.

On another note: How likely are you to raise this flop if you did indeed have 3 nines? I've made oodles of money from many players who give their hand away when they make this raise on the flop because they would almost ALWAYS wait until the turn with 3 of a kind. So it's evident they have either an eight or a draw. I'm not saying you're such a player, but it's something to consider. So if I've checked in front of them with a busted draw of my own and they bet... A check/raise bluff on the river is almost gauranteed to take it down.

10-21-2001, 01:28 AM
Thanks for all the feedbacks.

I check behine as Dynasty and Kevin have suggested. At this point, I figure he's on a busted draw as well and my hand is good, but not good enough to call a check raise. My opponent turns over 4d 2d for a busted flush draw as well, but he rivered a pair (pair of 4's)!

Perhaps I should've insurance bet the river, but I'm not so sure if he would fold and I would lose another additional big bet. Not to be result oriented, I think checking is still the better play against this particular opponent on the river.