PDA

View Full Version : $2/$4 - Is it more WLlHE or HEFAP

Sarge85
01-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Hmm... I can't think of much more to add other than the subject line.

I have both books.

I'm reading, studying, digesting, HEFAP - but I don't know if it applies as much to still a very much low limit game. I've been doing well at $1/$2 (generally using WLLHE) and have decided to balloon my bankroll a little, then go up to $2/$4.

I'll continue to read HEFAP - but like many say, most of the "fancy" plays just don't apply to low limit. Even in the "loose" section of the book, HEFAP suggestions seem counter-intuitive to proper play.

I'll certainly continue to read and study, but as whole, which will serve me better at a loose $2/$4 game. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Alobar
01-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Well, I just moved up to 2/4 permantely (I flirted with it once before, but didnt have the bankroll), and I would rely on WLLHE more so than I would HEFAP, tho learn and love both. 2/4 is just as fishy as 1/2. Only difference I've seen so far is that there are a few players who actually seem to know what they are doing. I've also seemed to notice more maniacs, which I find kind of interesting. but if I could only read one book and I was going to play 2/4 at party, Im going with WLLHE

JTG51
01-25-2004, 05:43 PM
HPFAP isn't a cookbook for beating any specific game, It teaches all of the concepts you need to beat any game. Many of the ideas are aimed higher limit games, but everything you need to beat low limit games is in there.

If you are willing to make an effort to understand which game conditions are best for each concept then apply them when you are in the right type of game and against the right kinds of opponents, HPFAP is all you need.

Fistdantilus
01-25-2004, 06:09 PM
WLLE all the way. I'll be extremely generous and say 10% of my opponents have read HEFAP and know some tricks. It's doubtful that anyone here will strongly disagree with that. Therefore, Lee Jone's advice is far more applicable because the competition is so poor. Plus, it's not like WLLE doesn't have it's share of tricks. It's where I learned how to cap draws and have it justified.

Fistdantilus

dirty_dan
01-25-2004, 06:30 PM
WLLH is a great book for learning enough to play decently at the lower limit, loose-passive games. HPFAP is a phenomenal book for learning why you need to play certain ways for a given set of game conditions.

For low-limit, WLLH is how, HPFAP is why. If the game ever changes (goes shorthanded, tightens up, goes crazy, or you change limits) then the knowledge in HPFAP is a must.

Mike Gallo
01-25-2004, 06:43 PM

Sarge85
01-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks - I guess I'm having a hard time finding "where the rubber meets the road" when I'm looking at HEFAP -

Styles
01-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Thanks for this post.

It's frustrating to refer to something in HFAP only to be bombarded with "that doesn't apply to low limit games" and then in other threads to read something drumming a lesson from HFAP.

I haven't read WLLH, but, I read HEP, HFAP, TOP, Inside the Poker Mind, and TFAP. I admit I recently read Phil's book too.

I've only been playing 6 months at $1/$2, but, I really depend on HFAP exclusively. The "Loose Games" section tips help maximize winnings by reducing some of the 'chip dwindlers' (a phrase someone here uses alot) like excessive semi-bluffing when your opponents won't fold, but, as even it says playing your normal tough game will win in these games. I made a simple adjustment for semi-bluffing, when I am betting a made hand I simply note if a player folds to me. If I end up in a hand with those players, I will try a semi-bluff. IE if they fold to my legitimate bet, I assume they may fold to my semi-bluff. OTOH if someone chases my Trip Aces that I raised preflop down with bottom-pair, I note that also and don't semi-bluff that person.

The biggest adjustment I have made recently was what we are calling the MajorKong tip, but comes straight from HFAP 'when the pot gets big win it'. I observe my opponents being very "busy" and winning alot of small pots. I am really becoming a believer in playing a few pots, raising to get them bigger and then winning those. In these, bigger pots, I use every trick in the book, well, that I have decifered and absorbed /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm afraid I really don't get this 'HFAP / Low Limit" thing going on.

I'm averaging what I consider a "solid" 6.04BB/100 at $1/$2 and I'd be absolutely lost with HFAP.

I also thought everyone dismissed WLLH because of the "look for an excuse to fold" advice, etc.? I recently read a review somewhere on here that said WLLH should have been titled "how to stop losing so much at low limit holdem".

This forum is schitzophrenic! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alobar
01-25-2004, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I also thought everyone dismissed WLLH because of the "look for an excuse to fold" advice, etc.? I recently read a review somewhere on here that said WLLH should have been titled "how to stop losing so much at low limit holdem".

[/ QUOTE ]

The majority of low limit players would do well to follow that advice though