PDA

View Full Version : I was lucky. But now what?

PrayingMantis
01-25-2004, 04:58 PM
It's a 10+1 2 tables SNG (unfortunately, pretty crowded with 2+2ers.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif). Blinds are 25/50, maybe 15 left, 8 at our table. I'm low with T1115, holding Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the SB. 4 players limp before me, and I feel lucky, so I complete with my trashy suited hand.

So, 6 of of see a beautiful flop of:

J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I'm first to act. What's your move? It's not a particularly aggressive table post-flop, especially with 6 in the pot, which didn't happen much.

Any thoughts?

PrayingMantis

Hotrod0823
01-25-2004, 05:00 PM
I don't remember the hand but I think I would bet the pot in this case. I don't want the guy holding Ad or Kd sticking around for free.

BTW I ended up winning the 2 table we were at together with heyrocker.

You are HelmetSky correct??

Hotrod

PrayingMantis
01-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Yes, HelmetSky is me. Congrats for the win. It was you who knocked me out on mid 4th level, when your AK caught two aces against my re-raise all-in with JJ /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Anyway, regarding the flush hand. Betting the pot might be correct, but isn't there some chance that if you check, somebody among the next five might try to sniff with AJ or KJ, and then you can raise? Or is it really too dangarous to slow play a bit here? After all, I'm way ahead now. How can I make somebody pay me more? I don't really want everybody to fold with this scary board in front of them, and a pot-bet coming from the SB.

Hotrod0823
01-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Right you may get a KJ or AJ playing into you but then again you may have a K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif seeing the turn for free.

I think I would be happy to get the pot at this point without risking another diamond on the turn or the river.

Hotrod

P.S. I got some really lucky hands. I ended up with a Rivered FH twice holding a PP vs. AK and AQ. And beat trips.

redwings03
01-25-2004, 08:46 PM
I make a bet from about 50-100% of the pot depending upon the overall texture of the game. If people would view my move as a desperation move and I thought a call would be likely then I would move all in. Obviously a 4th diamond coming out is your biggest fear so you want to put in something here but the "perfect amount" really depends on the players you are playing against and how they view you.

heyrocker
01-25-2004, 08:52 PM
I wish I had realized that two of the other people were from 2+2, I might have been a little more cautious. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyways, I know that its kind of pushing it, but I'm checking here and hoping someone makes a play at me so I can reraise them big. I realize that I would be taking a chance on giving someone a free card and making the K/A flush, but I'm not sure I could stomach that thought of betting out 150 here and having everyone fold. With 6 in, its seems pretty likely that someone here is going to make at least some kind of play at it.

TheGrifter
01-25-2004, 10:17 PM
In this situation, first to act, I would check and assume that one of the 6 people behind me will make a move on the pot.

If someone does make a play on the pot it will likely be a significant bet with the scary board to try to push people out and you can pop in the all in reraise. Any Ace or King of diamonds may call you but then you are a favorite to win.

Also, in the unlikely occurence that it is checked around and a non-diamond falls on the turn it is much more likely that a hand like top pair will pay you off.

I think the reward is worth the risk in this situation to check.

PrayingMantis
01-26-2004, 05:35 AM
From your replies, there's a tie between betting the pot and checking, and standing behind are the all-in option (as a trap) and betting half the pot. So, nothing conclusive here, and I didn't find very strong reasons why any move is positively better.

I was thinking about it, and realized that if someone has an A or K diamond, he's drawing now for only 7 outs, and with all the players behind, it might be not so dangarous giving someone else to act first, as the free card (if all check), will help the higher flush-draw only about 15% of the time, if there's such a draw at all.

So, in second thought, I think maybe checking was better, or betting maybe T150 (1/2 the pot), but at the time I did bet a little less than the pot (T250). I shouted at the screen when everybody folded... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Not SO lucky, after all.

PrayingMantis

gunboat
01-26-2004, 05:41 PM
I would make a relatively small bet like 50-75. Many players will read this as an attempt to get a cheap river card. An AJ or KJ will likely raise, but not a lot (unless its the AD), as they may be fearing a trap. If you reraise here, they will know you have a monster and probably fold. So I would smooth call and go for a check raise on the turn.

This assumes I am trying to to pick up as many chips as I can on this one hand and am willing to risk a suckout. If my stack is more robust, I just bet the pot.

P.S. I would also complete the Q4s, assuming the BB is not one to make a large bet here to try to pick up dead money. I am getting 11 to 1 here and can let go unless flop hits me hard.